Posted by Achillies on Saturday, March 5, 2011 at 3:30pm.
A garden has the shape of a right triangle with one leg 3 meters longer tha the other. The hypotenuse is 3 meters less than twice the lenght of the shorter leg.
- math - drwls, Saturday, March 5, 2011 at 4:30pm
b = a + 3
c = 2a -3
c^2 = a^2 + b^2 (Pythagorean theorem)
Solve those three equations simultaneously.
c^2 = 4a^2 -12a +9
c^2 = a^2 + (a+3)^2 = 2a^2 +6a +9
2a^2 -18a =0
a = 9
b = 12
c = 15
- math - Damon, Saturday, March 5, 2011 at 4:40pm
s^2 + l^2 = h^2
s^2 + (s+3)^2 = (2s-3)^2
s^2 + s^2 + 6 s + 9 = 4 s^2 - 12 s + 9
2 s^2 - 18 s = 0 = 2s(s-9)
s = 0 or s = 9
the s = 0 root is irrelevant since that results in a negative hypotenuse
s = 9
l = 9+3 = 12
h = 15
Answer this Question
- Algebra - A lot is in the shape of a right triangle. The shorter leg measures 90...
- Math 8th Grade - Jane's garden is in the shape of a right triangle. One leg of ...
- Math - Jane's garden is in the shape of a right triangle. One leg of the right ...
- Algebra 2 Honors - Hi, I'd like some help with one of the questions on my math ...
- math - The hypotenuse of a right triangle is 1 cm more than twice the shorter ...
- Math - A room is in the shape of a right triangle. The hypotenuse is 8 meters ...
- Math - The longer leg of a triangle is one foot less than twice the shorter leg...
- Math - A toy manufacturer needs a piece of plastic in the shape of a right ...
- Algebra - The flower garden has the shape of a right triangle. 5ft of a ...
- math - did i do this right? The hypotenuse of a 30 ĘC 60-90 right triangle ...