Posted by Lena on Thursday, March 3, 2011 at 9:04pm.
In a polypeptide at physiologic pH, hydrogen bonding may form between which of the following?
a) side chains of leucine residue and lysine residue
b) side chains of aspartyl residue and glutamyl residue
c) terminal amino acid group and terminal carboxyl group
d) amide group in peptide bond and aspartyl group
This is my thinking. H+ is positive so it would bind to something negative. Lysine is positive so a) would be wrong. Aspartate and glutamate are negative so I'm not too sure about that one. For c) terminal amino acid group has carbon which has a positive change so H wouldn't bind there. And then d) I have no idea.
Hydrogen bonding with polypeptides - DrBob222, Thursday, March 3, 2011 at 9:29pm
I agree with you on c.
Hydrogen bonding with polypeptides - Lena, Thursday, March 3, 2011 at 9:43pm
Apparently the correct answer is in fact d) howevere I don't even understand what d) is means.
I understand that it may bind to the O- on aspartyl but why would hydrogen binding occur b/t the c-nh when carbon is already bonded to the nitrogen?
Hydrogen bonding with polypeptides - DrBob222, Thursday, March 3, 2011 at 11:24pm
It's the H attached to the N that is hydrogen bonded to a negative part; in this case to the CH2COO^-
But c has NH2 on one end and COOH on the other.That's why I picked c.
Hydrogen bonding with polypeptides - Lena, Thursday, March 3, 2011 at 11:54pm
I'm going to have to ask my prof about this because in lecture she apparently tricked us because we all had chosen C as the answer.
Hydrogen bonding with polypeptides - Lena, Thursday, March 3, 2011 at 11:55pm
Thank you very much.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - The explosive residue contains carbon, hydrogen and nitrogen where ...
- PLEASE HELP BIO - If the side chain of a glutamic acid residue has a pKa of 4.1...
- chemistry - mixed about the 5grams of benzois acid and sugar. divide the mixture...
- science - when 8.4 g of NaHCO3 is added to a solution of CH3COOH weighing 20 g ....
- biology - Is the tertiary structure of a protein the bonding together of several...
- chemistry - a mixture of 39.8g containing potassium chloride and potassium ...
- chemistry - When a mixture of two black powders is heated, it gave off a gas ...
- Biochemistry - Match the protein to the descriptions. The protein to consider ...
- Chem - Final question.. An alloy used in aircraft construction consists of ...
- Chemistry - A compound on heating gives a crackling sound, a reddish fume, and a...