Posted by Paige on Wednesday, March 2, 2011 at 6:55pm.
just checking to see if i have this problem correct
Sammy can cut wood twice as fast as Joe. When they both work together, it takes them 4 hrs. how long would it take them to do the job alone?
4/x +4/x+2 = x^2+2
x=4 x=-2 since i can't use a -2 i have to put in a 4
Sammy =6 hours
Joe = 12 hours
- Algebra 2 word problem - Reiny, Wednesday, March 2, 2011 at 7:59pm
Joe's rate ---- 1/2x
Sammy's rate --- 1/x
combined rate = 1/x + 1/2x = 3/(2x)
time to do job with combined rate = 1/(3/(2x)) = 2x/3
but we know that is 4 hrs
2x/3 = 4
x = 6 and then 2x = 12
So Sammy could do it 6 hours
and Joe would take 12 hours.
- Algebra 2 word problem - Reiny, Wednesday, March 2, 2011 at 8:04pm
BTW, I won't even begin to point out all the errors in your solution.
Your opening equation makes no sense, and has no relation to the question.
the 2nd line does not follow from the 1st line
your "solution" of x=4 does not even satisfy your opening equation , as it should.
It looks like you knew what the answer was supposed to be, and simply formed some expression that contain that answer.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- checking to see if this is right - just checking to see if i have this problem ...
- Algebra - Joe and Theresa want to paint their living room. From past experience...
- MATH - An application of a rational function is T = (AB)/(A+B), which gives the...
- Radical and Rational exponents - Estimate how long it takes you to complete a ...
- kalinga apayao state college - keith has to grind tha values on his mercedes. he...
- Math Problem Solving - Jay and Mark run a lawn mowing service. Mark's mower is ...
- Intermediate Algebra - Joe can paint a room in 6 hours while Sue can paint the ...
- Algebra - Word Problem: Jack mows the lawn in 4 hours, mary mows the lawn in 5 ...
- College Algebra - Part 1: Using the Library, web resources, and/or other ...
- Math - Thomas needs to cut a piece of wood for a model airplane he is builing. ...