Posted by Haley on Tuesday, March 1, 2011 at 6:42pm.
Barbara is playing a game. She jumps forward 5 feet, and then steps backward 2 feet. How many jumps will it take her to reach the finish line, which is 20 feet from where she started?
Make a table to show Barbara's position.
Barbara will reach 20 feet on jump number _____?
It will take Barbara ______ jumps forward before she passes the finish line.
Math - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, March 1, 2011 at 6:44pm
What did you find when you made the table?
Math - Haley, Tuesday, March 1, 2011 at 6:47pm
Position After jump forward
Position after Step Back
Math - Haley, Tuesday, March 1, 2011 at 6:53pm
I don't have any idea.
Math - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, March 1, 2011 at 6:54pm
According to your table, on which jump will she reach 20 feet?
Math - Haley, Tuesday, March 1, 2011 at 6:56pm
After 7 jumps foward and 6 backward.
Math - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, March 1, 2011 at 6:58pm
Jump 1: 0 +5 -2 = + 3
Jump 2: 3 + 5 - 2 = +6
Math - Haley, Tuesday, March 1, 2011 at 7:02pm
Thanks. Now I understand.
Math - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, March 1, 2011 at 7:10pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - a Frog is at the bottom of a 21 foot well. The frog jumps up 4 feet, and ...
- Algebra-Quadratic Applications - A diver on a platform 40 feet in height jumps ...
- 6th grade Math - Your brother pulls his sled up a hill. Each minute he moves ...
- Physics - An athlete with a mass of 62 kg jumps and lands on the ground on his ...
- math - a man jumps off of a cliff 12 feet above a lake. His jump takes him 4 3/4...
- math - A diver on a platform 40 feet in height jumps upward with an initial ...
- college algebra - If an average-size man with a parachute jumps from an airplane...
- biomechanics - peter, a 100 kg baketball player, lands on his feet after ...
- Physics - A)a 72 kg man jumps from a window 1.2 m above a sidewalk. the ...
- Math - The time a object is in freed all is given by the formula t= v/2g where v...