Posted by leticia on Tuesday, March 1, 2011 at 12:47pm.
PLEASE I NEED HELPPPPP.. i have many exercises like that, just want to know where to start thanks.
f(x)= x^3+2x^2-x-2 / x^2+x-6
2. symmetry or not
3. determine if f(x)is: a)in lowest trem b)proper/improper
4. x-intercepts, y-intercepts
5. zeros of f(x) and their multiplicity
6. vertical asymptotes
7. ablique/horizontal asymtotes
mth - Henry, Thursday, March 3, 2011 at 11:14pm
We have a fraction in which a cubic Eq is the numerator and a Quadratic Eq is the denominator. Let's factor both.
Find a value of X that gives 0 out when
plugged into the cubic Eq. It was found
by trial and error that -2 will give
an output of 0 and,therefore, satisfies
X = -2,
X + 2 = 0. Using long-hand division,
divide the cubic Eq by x + 2 and get:
X^2 - 1.
(X + 2)(X^2 - 1) = 0,
(X + 2)(X + 1)(X - 1) = 0 = numerator.
Factor the denominator and get:
(X - 2)(X + 3) = 0. Therefore,
F(x)=(X + 2)(X + 1)(X -1)/(X -2)(X + 3)
The domain = all real values of x
that does not make the denominator = 0.
2 and -3 will make the denominator = 0
and are outside the domain.
1. So the domain = all real values of X
except 2 and -3.
3. a. Not in lowest term as given.
b. Proper fraction.
4. X-Ints = -2, -1 , 1 = roots = solu.
When X = 0, F(0) = -2/-6 = 1/3 = Y-int.
5. Zeroes = X-Ints = -2,-1, and 1.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - PLEASE I NEED HELPPPPP.. i have many exercises like that, just want to ...
- math-please help,need quickly - find the slant asymptote of the graphof the ...
- algebra - Can someone check my answers on exploring conic sections? 1. Graph x2...
- algebra - Can someone check my answers please and if Im wrong please explain. 1...
- College Algebra - Here is the whole question... I have figured most of it out ...
- Pre-Calculus - I want to learn how to find the domain, holes, x-intercepts, y- ...
- Math - State domain, range, period, vertical asymptotes, zeros, symmetry and y-...
- PreCalculus - I'm trying to find the x-intercepts of a polynomial function = 4x^...
- Calculus - Sketch the graph of f(x)=x^2/x-2. Identify the domain, x-intercepts, ...
- algebra - Given the following function, find: (a) vertex (b) axis of symmetry (c...