Posted by katrina on Tuesday, March 1, 2011 at 12:28am.
the amount of bacteria in a petri dish increased by a percent change of 12% each hour over a period of 15 hours.
a. find the growth factor for 1 hour?
b. by what total percent did the bacteria change during this 15- hour time period.?
c. how long will it take for the bacteria to double?
- precalculus - drwls, Tuesday, March 1, 2011 at 9:16am
b. [(1.12)^15 -1] x 100
The x 100 is for conversion %
c. about 6 hours, using the "rule of 72"
For the exact answer (t), solve
(1.12)^t = 2
- precalculas - Reiny, Tuesday, March 1, 2011 at 9:18am
your formula would be
Amount = a(1.12)^t , where 0 ≤ t ≤ 15
a) in 1 hour growth factor would be 1.12
b) Amount = a(1.12)^15 = 5.47a
percentage of growth = 5.47a/a = 5.47 or 547%
2a = a(1.12)^t
2 = 1.12^t
log2 = log(1.12^t)
log2 = t log1.12
t = log2/log1.12 = 6.1
- precalculas - drwls, Tuesday, March 1, 2011 at 9:25am
I do not agree with Reiny's answer #2. They asked for the change, so 1 must be subtracted from 1.12^15
This would result in a 447% increase, to 547% of the initial value
- precalculas - Reiny, Tuesday, March 1, 2011 at 9:34am
drwls is correct, I should have subtracted to get the change.
(Can I blame it on the fact that I was only on my first cup of coffee ?)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - A culture of bacteria in a petri dish is doubling every hour. If there ...
- calculus - a colony of bacteria living on a petri dish under optimal conditions ...
- precal - A petri dish contains only two bacteria. The bacteria divide every half...
- Algebra 1 - The initial number of bacteria in a Petri dish is 2,300 and grows at...
- math - Bacteria is growing in a petri dish. Initially, there were 15,000 ...
- Math - How do I solve this if there is no equation to this 1. The population of ...
- algebra - The number of bacteria in a certain population increases according to ...
- math - A lab is growing bacteria in a culture dish. The amount of bacteria in ...
- Algebra - A lab is growing bacteria in a culture dish. The amount of bacteria in...
- pre algebra - there is 100 bacteria in a petri dish. every 30 minutes the ...