Posted by Esther on Monday, February 28, 2011 at 8:55pm.
Harry spent one third of his money on a hat, 1/6 on socks, and $12.00 on a tie. How much money did Harry spend?
- math - Dan, Monday, February 28, 2011 at 9:02pm
Not enough information. However, if the problem gave Harry's total amount of money, or a percentage based on the 12 dollars spent, it would be solvable. Think about how you would solve it if this information was given.
- math - kyle, Monday, February 28, 2011 at 10:34pm
that is all the information given
- math - Helper, Monday, February 28, 2011 at 11:01pm
Assuming he spent all his money,
x = Money he started with
1/3 x = spent on hat
1/6 x = spent on socks
12 = spent on a tie
Total spent = 1/3 x + 1/6 x + 12
Total spent = 2/6 x + 1/6 x + 12
Total spent = 3/6 x + 12
Money he started with - Total spent = 0
x - (3/6 x + 12) = 0
6/6 x - 3/6 x - 12 = 0
3/6 x - 12 = 0
3/6 x = 12
Multiply both sides by 6
3x = 72
x = 24 money he started with
1/3 x = 1/3 (24) = 8 hat
1/6 x = 1/6 (24) = 4 socks
Tie = 12
8 + 4 + 12 = 24 spent
Answer this Question
- math - Harry spent one third of his money on a hat, 1/6 on socks, and $12.00 on ...
- fractions - Harry spent one third of his money on a hat, 1/6 of his money on ...
- maths - Harry and Potter had $224 altogether. When Harry gave 1/5 of his money ...
- Math - An Antique dealer visited three shops. she spend $25 at the first shop. ...
- Geometry - An Antique dealer visited three shops. she spend $25 at the first ...
- Algebra POW #10 - Amanda worked hard all summer. Before school started,she ...
- Math - A merchant visited 3 fairs. At the first, he doubled his money and spent...
- math,(fraction) - Susan had some money. she spent one-sixth of her money on ...
- math - an antique dealer visited three shops.she spent 25$ at the first shop.at ...
- grammar - Where do Harry Potter live, when he not are together with all his ...