Posted by Em on Sunday, February 27, 2011 at 7:56pm.
An m = 6.80-kg clay ball is thrown directly against a perpendicular brick wall at a velocity of 22.0 m/s and shatters into three pieces, which all fly backward, as shown in the figure. The wall exerts a force on the ball of 2670 N for 0.110 s. One piece of mass m1 = 2.80 kg travels backward at a velocity of 10.1 m/s and an angle of = 32.0° above the horizontal. A second piece of mass m2 = 1.80 kg travels at a velocity of 8.30 m/s and an angle of 28.0° below the horizontal.
I found the velocity of the third piece to be 48.738 m/s
but i need help finding:
What is the direction of the third piece?
Physics - Please Help - Anonymous, Sunday, April 3, 2011 at 6:33pm
how did u find
Physics - Please Help - Rohon Ray, Saturday, September 13, 2014 at 7:02pm
From conservation of momentum:
initial momentum of ball= (total momentum of the three balls)+(impulse of the wall)
First, lets find the momentum of the entire system in the x-axis.
Now lets take the total momentum in the system in the y-axis
theta= -2.5181760257216 degrees
In other words the third ball will go at the direction 2.5181760257216 degrees below the horizontal.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - A 6-kg clay ball is thrown directly against a perpendicular brick wall...
- Physics - An m = 6.80-kg clay ball is thrown directly against a perpendicular ...
- Physics - A lump of clay with a mass of 5.0 ! 10-2 kg is thrown toward a wall ...
- kctcs - the ball thrown the brick wall bounces directly back with the same speed...
- Physics - A 50g tennis ball is thrown with a velocity of 12 m/s. It strikes a ...
- physics - A 3.3-kg ball of clay with a speed of 14 m/s is thrown against a wall ...
- physics - A tennis ball (m= 0.2 kg) is thrown at a brick wall. It is traveling ...
- physics - I have been stuck on this for a while now and cant figure out what it ...
- physics - a snow ball at 0 degrees celsius is thrown against a brick wall. if ...
- physics - A tennis ball with a velocity of +9.6 m/s to the right is thrown ...