Posted by tee on Sunday, February 27, 2011 at 9:29am.
Need some advice!
What to do the with the class for the first time? I don't know the class and they don't know me. They are not children. The youngest person is 20 and the oldest around 35-40- There are 10 of them in the group and they are learning English as a foreign language for the first time. So I can't do anything in English with them. What to do in this case for an hour and a half? Any suggestion?
- English - Writeacher, Sunday, February 27, 2011 at 9:49am
Start with Total Physical Response (TPR) activities in the various sites here. You may be in this mode for several of the first classes, and you'll need to keep using and adding to these ideas to reinforce concepts/words.
Make sure you are VERY familiar and knowledgeable about the Seven Strategies... article here:
There will undoubtedly be others here that will be useful.
Go through Easy Things for Beginners to get ideas. There's a bunch of other information/activities here that will help in the future, too.
Stuff for Teachers has some excellent ideas in it.
Stuff for Students will give you some ideas for the future, too.
Just about everything here should be useful for you in the future, too.
- English - tee, Sunday, February 27, 2011 at 10:09am
Nice sites but mostly for later. I just can't think of anything I can do with them for the very first time. I would probably do something with them in their mother tongue but can't think of anything :/
- English - Writeacher, Sunday, February 27, 2011 at 10:14am
Read and use the TPR things. That's how every ESL/EFL teacher I know starts out his/her classes.
- English - shin, Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 5:10am
always talk English, doesn't matter if it's their first or 32234th class
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - The four oldest people in Golden City have lived a total of 384 years ...
- English - First thanks to everyone who has helped me with my topic Breakfast! It...
- Math - The three Smith children have a combined age of 50. The youngest is half ...
- English - Hello! Next Tuesday I am teaching a class for the first time! (I am ...
- English - Homework Help: English Posted by rfvv on Monday, March 7, 2016 at 2:...
- Algebra - The oldest child in a family of four children is twice as old as the ...
- English - There are 7 classes for first year students. Each class is composed of...
- English - I need to find some interesting articles or videos or anything.. for ...
- English Composition - I'm writing a synthesis paper for my college english ...
- math - there Are four children in a family, the sum of the squares of the ages ...