Posted by Lauren on Saturday, February 26, 2011 at 1:55pm.
x is a number between 3 and 50.
How many vales of x is radical x / 13 a rational number?
- Math - MathMate, Saturday, February 26, 2011 at 2:57pm
"x is a number between 3 and 50." requires any number x (integer, fractional or decimal) between the given limits such that √(x/13) is rational.
The number of integers is limited to 1, namely 13, since √(13/13)=1 is rational. Multiplying 13 by the nearest perfect square exceeds the upper limit.
However, there are many non-integer rational numbers that fit the bill.
Basically, we multiply 13 by fractions whose numerator and denominator are perfect squares.
As you can see, the list can go on and on, and the list is long, if not infinite.
You may want to double check if the question actually meant:
"x is an integer between 3 and 50."
- Math - Reiny, Saturday, February 26, 2011 at 2:59pm
for √x/13 to be rational, x must be a perfect square.
perfect squares between 3 and 50 are
4,9,16,25,36, and 49
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Math - What are irrational, rational, and natural numbers? A rational number is ...
- Math - Which statement is false? A. The number zero is a rational number. B. ...
- very EASY Math terms Defintions - Please help someone!!!! a number that can be ...
- Algebra - If a number is not a rational number then it is a? 1.an integer 2.an ...
- MATH HELP PLEASE - Which statment is false? A. The number zero is a rational ...
- Math term definitions - Please help someone!!!! a number that can be expressed ...
- Math Check Pleas Thank You - 1. Which of the following numbers is an example of ...
- 8th Grade Math - Please help! Which statement is false? A. The number zero is a ...
- Math - 1. Where is 4.89 on the number line Between 1 and 2 Between 2 and 3 ...
- math - Take any number (except for 1). Square that number and then subtract one...