Posted by Amelie on Friday, February 25, 2011 at 3:48am.
A hanging wire made out of titanium with diameter 0.080 cm is initially 2.3 m long. When a 78 kg mass is hung from it, the wire stretches an amount 2.89 cm. A mole of titanium has a mass of 47.9 grams, and its density is 4.51 g/cm3. Based on these experimental measurements, what is the Young's modulus for titanium?
Find the effective spring stiffness of one interatomic bond in titanium.
- Physics - drwls, Friday, February 25, 2011 at 5:38am
Young's modulus = (tensile stress)/(strain)
In this case the strain is
(delta L)/L = 2.89cm/230 cm
and the stress is
sigma = (78*9.8 N)/[(pi/4)*(8^10^-4m)^2] = 764.4 N/5.027*10^-7 m^2)
= 1.52*10^9 N/m^2
So E = 1.21*10^11 N/m^2
= 121 GPa
A spring stiffness for an individual Ti-Ti interatomic pair can be estimated by dividing
(Tensile force)/(area occupied by one molecule)
by (stretch per intermolecular molecule pair).
You will need a characteristic intermolecular distance or diameter for Ti atoms in the solid. Call it d. Get that from the number density of Ti atoms, n.
d = n^(-1/3)
n = [4.51 g/cm^3/(47.9g/mole)]*6.02*10^23 atom/mole = 5.56*10^22 atom/cm^3
n^-1/3 = d = 2.6*10^-8 cm
= 2.6*10^-10 m
spring stiffness = k
= E/d = 1.21*10^11/2.6*10^-10
= 4.6*10^20 N/m
Answer this Question
- physics - A wire of diameter 0.65mm and length 6.0m stretches 10mm when 5.5kg is...
- Physics - 1.A brass wire 80 cm long and 0.3 cm in diameter is used to hang an ...
- Physics - A steel (Young's modulus 2.0 x 1011 N/m2) wire is strung between two ...
- physics - A steel (Young's modulus 2.0 x 1011 N/m2) wire is strung between two ...
- physics - a metal wire 1.0 mm in diameter and 2.0 m long hangs vertically with a...
- physics - Find the diameter of an 18 m(L) long steel wire that will stretch no ...
- Physics - a wire 100 cm long and 0.2 cm in diameter is suspended from a support...
- Physics - A 14.0 ohm resistor is made from a coil of copper wire whose total ...
- physics - A long horizontal wire carries a current of 48A . A second wire, made ...
- Physics - A long horizontal wire carries a current of 48A . A second wire, made ...