Posted by tee on Monday, February 21, 2011 at 3:07pm.
I got a little confuse by possessive s
The rule goes that all regular plurals get the ending s' f.e. my parents' house
So then it is my brother's house in singular and my brothers' house in plural?
English - Native speakers - Writeacher, Monday, February 21, 2011 at 3:39pm
Yes, you are right. Good for you!
English - Native speakers - tee, Monday, February 21, 2011 at 3:45pm
Ok so does my parent's house exist? What about wife-wives? It is irregular plural so according to the rule it would go wife's and wives'? Hmm doesn't the rule say that irregular plurals get the ending 's but it can't go wives's!
English - Native speakers - Writeacher, Monday, February 21, 2011 at 4:54pm
Parent's house = house belonging to one parent but not the other.
his wife's house = house belonging to one wife
those wives' houses = houses belonging to several wives
And yes, there is no word spelled wives's.
English - Native speakers - tee, Monday, February 21, 2011 at 5:00pm
Yes I got it. But one question remains. If the rule says that irregular plurals get 's and not s' why do we say then wives' if it is the irregular plural?
English - Native speakers - Writeacher, Monday, February 21, 2011 at 5:25pm
With ANY plural possessive form, if the last letter of the word is -s, then you add only the apostrophe, not another s. (The same is not true of singular possessives.)
child -- child's
children -- children's
boy -- boy's
boys -- boys'
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - Native speakers - Helo :) Can you tell me if the following explanation...
- English - 1. He built a house with straw. 2. He built a house with straws. 3. He...
- HELP WITH ENGLISH - Jay and Jaylene have four brothers. All four have a poor ...
- English - On the hill, there is a house. When we walk down a little, there is a ...
- Trig - House B is located at a bearing of N67°E from house A. House C is 370 ...
- ELA - Correct these sentences. 1. my littl brothers bestest riddle is what kind ...
- Math - Jerome knows that the total distance around his house is 120 feet. His ...
- English - 1. The house is close to the river. 2. The house is near the river. 3...
- math - A tree, in danger of falling , stands 65 feet from the house. The angle ...
- Just really need some help - Acela’s aging parents own a house and a car. Acela ...