Posted by tee on Monday, February 21, 2011 at 3:07pm.
I got a little confuse by possessive s
The rule goes that all regular plurals get the ending s' f.e. my parents' house
So then it is my brother's house in singular and my brothers' house in plural?
- English - Native speakers - Writeacher, Monday, February 21, 2011 at 3:39pm
Yes, you are right. Good for you!
- English - Native speakers - tee, Monday, February 21, 2011 at 3:45pm
Ok so does my parent's house exist? What about wife-wives? It is irregular plural so according to the rule it would go wife's and wives'? Hmm doesn't the rule say that irregular plurals get the ending 's but it can't go wives's!
- English - Native speakers - Writeacher, Monday, February 21, 2011 at 4:54pm
Parent's house = house belonging to one parent but not the other.
his wife's house = house belonging to one wife
those wives' houses = houses belonging to several wives
And yes, there is no word spelled wives's.
- English - Native speakers - tee, Monday, February 21, 2011 at 5:00pm
Yes I got it. But one question remains. If the rule says that irregular plurals get 's and not s' why do we say then wives' if it is the irregular plural?
- English - Native speakers - Writeacher, Monday, February 21, 2011 at 5:25pm
With ANY plural possessive form, if the last letter of the word is -s, then you add only the apostrophe, not another s. (The same is not true of singular possessives.)
child -- child's
children -- children's
boy -- boy's
boys -- boys'
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - Native speakers - Helo :) Can you tell me if the following explanation...
- English - Native speakers - Hello! Why don't we say possessive pronouns in ...
- Just really need some help - Acela’s aging parents own a house and a car. Acela ...
- Math - Jerome knows that the total distance around his house is 120 feet. His ...
- English - 1. The house is close to the river. 2. The house is near the river. 3...
- Trig - House B is located at a bearing of N67°E from house A. House C is 370 ...
- 3 grade english ms sue - SEQUENCE OF EVENTS THE SEQUENCE OF EVENTS IN A STORY IS...
- English - Native speakers - Can we say : Scientist have a little hope of finding...
- gov - two-thirds majority of both houses. is that 2/3 of house + 2/3 of senate ...
- English - 1. He built a house with straw. 2. He built a house with straws. 3. He...