Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, February 20, 2011 at 11:12pm.
Among 500 freshmen pursuing a business degree at a university, 313 are enrolled in an economics course, 205 are enrolled in a mathematics course, and 153 are enrolled in both an economics and a mathematics course. What is the probability that a freshman selected at random from this group is enrolled in
(a) An economics and/or a mathematics course?
(b) Exactly one of these two courses?
(c) Neither an economics course nor a mathematics course?
Mathematics - MattsRiceBowl, Monday, February 21, 2011 at 12:15am
So out of 500 students, we know what 671 of them are doing. I think there are many unregistered freshman taking classes at that college. ...
The numbers do not add up.
Mathematics - MattsRiceBowl, Monday, February 21, 2011 at 12:25am
I may have read this wrong, of course. After reading it again, I thought differently.
There are 153 students taking both economics and math. That means there are:
205 - 153 = 52
There are 52 students only taking math, but not economics.
313-153 = 160
So 160 students are taking economics without math.
So out of 500, we have:
160 only taking economics.
52 only taking math.
153 taking both.
That is 365 out of 500 taking at least one of the classes. How many aren't taking math or economics?
Now, it's just a matter of percentages.
Mathematics - Adithya, Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:02am
Half of a third of x equals a fourth of y plus a fifth of y. If x = 27, what is the value of y?
Mathematics - Emmanuel, Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 3:48pm
4 and 5
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - At a school of 1400 students, 800 are currently enrolled in English, 740 ...
- English - I left out three sentences on the use of "enrol" 1) I signed up for/I ...
- math - In a local school 34 students are enrolled in a math class, 85 are ...
- mathematical methods for economics - in a class of 300 students,they were given ...
- Lincoln College Of New En - it has been found that 85.6% of all enrolled college...
- Math - Of the 103 people enrolled in mathematics class, 91% are present. How ...
- statistics - of all 3-to 5-year- old children, 56% are enrolled in school. If a ...
- english - Write one paragraph of eight to twelve sentences informing your fellow...
- com155 - I am enrolled in a Personal Finance class that is teaching me the ...
- statistics - Of all 3- to 5-year old children, 56% are enrolled in school (p=0....