Posted by Susie on Sunday, February 20, 2011 at 4:37pm.
Do you think the time has finally come to redraft the 1876 Texas Constitution in order to meet the needs of the growing, 21sy century Texas.
Any input would be great.
- Texas Government - Ms. Sue, Sunday, February 20, 2011 at 4:48pm
Redrafting a state constitution is an expensive, time-consuming activity.
What do YOU think needs to be changed? Are these changes worth the time and money to draft a new constitution?
- Texas Government - bobpursley, Sunday, February 20, 2011 at 5:05pm
Do you think Texas is capable of redrafting anything?
Everyone would get into a fight about property rights, carrying guns, power of counties, power of state legislature, power of banks, power of insurance companies, power of cities to cross county lines, and power of counties to stop judges from forming new "cities".
Well, it could add something to the TV news.
Oh yes, abortion would be fought over, as well as county/school boards right to tax property.
I personally don't think it can be done. They can't raise money as it is to pay for schools or police.
- Texas Government - Writeacher, Sunday, February 20, 2011 at 5:24pm
But people all over the state are allowed to form all kinds of itty-bitty or great-big districts (or some in between) in order to tax people even more!
And then there are entities, such as Metro in Houston, which collect tax money but have no elected officials.
I agree with Ms. Sue and Bob -- good luck getting Texans to agree on anything statewide anymore.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Social studies - Why did: George Childress, Lorenzo de zavala, James fanin, Sam ...
- Texas - Does anyone know why Texas, is the only state that I know of, that has ...
- history - the decree of april 6 1830 stopped immigration )to mexico from texas )...
- Texas Government - What term best describes the Texas legislature? a. moderate ...
- Texas Government - Texas's tax structure is highly progressive compared to that ...
- social studies - Independence Declared 1. How did the leaders of Texas declare ...
- texas history - how did the government under sam houston encourage people to ...
- Texas History - How did the law of April 6,1830 change relations betweens Texas ...
- Texas Government - When you vote in Texas, you are voting by a. county. b. ...
- texas history - how and why did spanish groups come to texas?