Posted by Mego on Sunday, February 20, 2011 at 7:52am.
Find the gradient of the straight line that passes through the points (3,6) and (-5,-2) and hence find the equation of the line, clearly showing each step of your method
- maths - Helper, Sunday, February 20, 2011 at 10:02am
points (3,6) and (-5,-2)
Slope m = (y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1)
m = (-2 - 6)/(-5 - 3)
m = -8/-8 = 1
Slope-intercept form of the equation,
y = mx + b,
where m = slope and b = y-intercept
To find the y-intercept, Use either point to substitute into the equation,
y = mx + b
P (3,6), m = 1
y = mx + b
6 = 1(3) + b
6 = 3 + b
b = 3
Therefore, the equation where m = 1 and b = 3 is,
y = 1x + 3
y = x + 3
- maths - Mego, Sunday, February 27, 2011 at 10:51am
- maths - Mego, Sunday, February 27, 2011 at 11:28am
Thanks! I'm covering maths classes so it's annoying not knowing how to explain and mark work
we are trying to find out how to use the equation to determine whether or not the point (-3,2) lies on this line?
the x-intercept and the y-intercept of the line in the first question and the kids have to show each step of their method clearly.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Mathamatics - This question concerns the straight line that passes through the ...
- Math - This question concerns the straight line that passes through the points...
- maths - the line passes through the points s(6,6) and T(0,-2) determine the ...
- Maths - Hi, need a bit of help on this one. A straight line passes through the ...
- math - Q2.Plot three points with second coordinate equal yo (1.3) and join them...
- Maths - Please help, I need to calculate the gradient of a straight line that ...
- Math 101 - Find the equation for each of the following items below: a. A line ...
- Maths - Find the equation of a straight line whuch passes through the points (2,...
- maths - find the equation to the straight line which passes through the point of...
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...