Posted by Sandy on Thursday, February 17, 2011 at 3:35pm.
From two points each on the opposite sides of a river,the angles of elevations of the top of an 80ft. tree are 60 degree & 30 degree.the points & the tree are in the same straight line,which is perpendicular to the river.how wide is the river?
- trig - Henry, Saturday, February 19, 2011 at 7:26pm
First, we draw a ver line which represents the tree and label it 80ft.
Then we draw a hor line to the base of
the tree. The other end of the hor line goes to the top of the tree and represents the hyp of a rt triangle.
Draw a 2nd hyp from the top of the tree
to a point on the hor line about 1/3 of
the distance to the bottom of the tree.
Label the segment between the 2 hyps
X1 and the segment connecting to the
bottom of the tree is X2.
The angle between the longest hyp and
hor line is 30 deg and the angle formed
by the shortest hyp is 60 deg.
tan30 = Y/(X1 + X2) = 80 / (X1 + X2),
X1 + X2 = 80 / tan30 = 138.6ft.
X2 = 80 / tan60 = 46.2ft.
X1 + X2 = 138.6,
X1 + 46.2 = 138.6,
X1 = 138.6 - 46.2 = 92.4ft. = Width of
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- maths --plse help me.. - THERE IS A SMALL ISLAND IN THE MIDDLE OF A 100M WIDE ...
- trigonometry - An aeroplane at an altitude of 200m observes the angles of ...
- iworo ajido - a tree is on one side of a river two point p and q 15metre apart ...
- Math - The top of a tree makes angles s and t with Points K and L on the ground...
- Math - Two dogs are 180 ft apart on opposite sides of a tree. The angles of ...
- maths - A tree stands vertically on a hill side which makes an angle of 15 ...
- math trig - two points A and Bare 80 feetapart on the same side of A towerand on...
- Geometry - A tree on a 30 degree slope grows straight up. What are the measures ...
- geometry - a tree grew at a 3 degree slant from the vertical. at a point 60 feet...
- math - A child’s kite is on top of a straight pine tree. A ladder is placed ...