Posted by Claire on Thursday, February 17, 2011 at 11:38am.
Hi I am really sorry I now people have already attempted to help me with this one already, however I am still not able to understand, I really have not done a lot of these equations and am struggling. I have put a little more information down this time, any help is much appreciated.
1- Find, in implicit form, the general solution of the differential equation:
Dy/dx = 2(e^x – e^-x) / y^2 (e^x + e^-x)^4 (y > 0).
2- Find the corresponding particular solution (in implicit form) that satisfies the initial; condition y = ½ when x = 0.
3- Find the explicit form of this particular solution.
4- What is the value of y given by this particular solution when x =1?
- Maths-differential equation - MathMate, Thursday, February 17, 2011 at 1:27pm
This differential equation is separable, meaning that it can be transformed into two integrals, one involving only x, and the other, only y.
It can then be integrated to get the solution in terms of an integration constant. The initial conditions can be used to determine the constant.
Dy/dx = 2(e^x – e^-x) / y^2 (e^x + e^-x)^4 (y > 0)
transpose x and y terms to give:
y² dy = 2(e^x – e^-x) dx / (e^x + e^-x)^4
Note how the numerator is related to the derivative of the denominator, so we can use a substitution
so the equation becomes:
y² dy = 2du /u^4
Integrate both sides:
y³/3 = -(2/3)u^(-3)+C'
where C is an integration constant.
The general solution is therefore:
2. given y(0)=1/2 =>
1/8=-2/2³ + C
C=1/8+1/4 = 3/8
The particular solution is therefore
3. the explicit form is in the format
4. y(1)=? .... I'll leave that to you.
Do check my work.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - Sorry, for asking you the same thing again, but I really don't know if...
- calculus - Sorry to post this again, but I am still unable to understand it and ...
- Dear Jiskha - Dear Jiskha, I really need help with some things and I am able to ...
- English - I'm really sorry. The last two sentences in my last post shouldn't be ...
- math - How many two digit numbers are there in base 5. I really don't understand...
- English - Writeacher, I really hope you can have a look at my last examples. I ...
- RE - i am really struggling with my re homework and i would really appreciate ...
- math - I need help with this question. Write the equation of the line which ...
- Advice on IB subjects - Hey there all! Im desperate for some advice on my ...
- maths equations - could you please help me on this equation r = sx2/2t im really...