Posted by PLEASE HELP ME OUT!! on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 10:45pm.
How do you solve:
n is 2 given that it is even
The directions say "let n be a randomly selected integer from 1-20. Find the indicated probability"
1. A tennis player wins a math 55% of the time when she serves first and 47% of the time when her opponent serves first. The player who serves first is determined by a coin toss before the match. What is the probability that the player wins a given match.
2.A football team is losing by 14 points near the end of a game. The team scroes two touchdowns (worth 6 pts each) before the end of the game. After each touchdown, the coach must decide whether to go for 1 point with a kick(which is successful 99% of the time) or 2 points with a run or pass (which is successful 45% of the time).
a.If the team goes for 1 point after each touchdown, what is the probability that the coach's team wins? loses? ties?
b. If the team goes for 2 points after each touchdown,what is the probability that the coach's team wins? loses? ties?
c. Can you develop a strategy so that the coach's team has a probability of winning the game that is greater than the probability of losing? If so, explain your strategy and calculate the probabilities of winning and losing using your strategy.
- Math - drwls, Thursday, February 17, 2011 at 1:35am
1. Since the coin toss can go either way with 50% probability, before tossing coin, the chance of the player mentioned winning is 51%
2. The question overlooks the new rules that require overtime to be played in the event of a tie at the end of four periods.
a. wins: 0%
loses: 1 - 0.99^2 = 0.0199
ties: 0.99^2 = 0.9801
b. wins: 0.45^2 = 0.2025
loses: (0.55)^2 = 0.3025
ties: 2*0.45*0.55 = 0.4950
c. Try 2 point conversion first, then try it again only if the first attempt fails.
2 and then kick for 1 (a win): 0.4455
2 and then kick for 0 (a tie): 0.0045
0 and then 2 (a tie): 0.2475
0 and then run/pass for 0 (a loss) 0.3025
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Math - How do you solve: n is 2 given that it is even The directions say "let n ...
- Algebra 2 - n is 2 given that it is even directions: let n be a randomly ...
- Math urgent..............help..... - the table below shows the registered ...
- math - 2) In a certain instant lottery game, the chances of a win stated as "3 ...
- Algebra 2 - Game Theory: Consider a game in which each of two people ...
- Math - 1. A tennis player wins a math 55% of the time when she serves first and ...
- Math - Two individuals, A and B, are finalist for a chess championship. They ...
- Statistics/Probability - Assume that women’s heights are normally distributed ...
- statistics - Assume that women's heights are normally distributed with a mean ...
- statistics - 1. Express the indicated degree of likelihood as a probability ...