Posted by tee on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 2:49pm.
Hello! Need some help from native speakers of English. I cannot understand the following sentence:
One recent catalog featured a customer sporting an insulated Patagonia guide jacket as she rescued a calf born during a Colorado snow storm.
Is sporting here a verb? I don't understand the meaning of the sentence. Can somebody elaborate it?
English - Native speakers - tee, Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 2:53pm
I have problems with the following sentence too:
Its corporate culture has its roots in the 1960s Californian counterculture of climbers and surfers with the ethic of radical environmentalism.
What exactly means counterculture? Is environmentalism the same as environment?
English - Native speakers - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 2:59pm
The word "sporting" is a participle, modifying "customer." A good synomym for "sporting" in this sentence would be "wearing."
Counterculture describes behavior that isn't part of the majority culture. In this sentence it means that these people were physically very active, enjoyed dangerous sports and were protective of the environment. Environmentalism is the belief that the environment must be preserved.
English - Native speakers - Writeacher, Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 3:01pm
In the first sentence, "sporting" means wearing. She was wearing the jacket...
environmentalism: "work toward protecting the natural environment from destruction or pollution"
English - Native speakers - tee, Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 4:00pm
Oh that helped a lot!! :))
One more question: What is going commission? Any synonyms?
"while the going commission for making a similar trade on the world wide web could be as low as 9 dollars"
English - Native speakers - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 7:18pm
Ah -- The "going commission" means the standard commission rate.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - Native speakers - Hello! Can you improve this sentence please "She ...
- English-Native speakers - What is the passive of the following sentence? We ...
- English - Native speakers - Hello I have a question concerning the following ...
- English - I pretend I am a PD. I will make an educational program. I will call ...
- English - Date: Jun 12th, (Friday) 9:00 - 17:00 Place: Teachers' Training Center...
- English - Native speakers - Hello! Why don't we say possessive pronouns in ...
- English - Native speakers - Hello! I know articles are really complicated in ...
- English - Native speakers - Hello! How do you say in English "Sprachliches ...
- English - Native speakers - Hello! What does toiletries mean? Is this stuff we ...
- English - Thank you for your corrections. Can you check these questions and ...