Posted by Yoo on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 at 5:05am.
rank strongest acid to weakest acid?
rank strongest acid to weakest acid
CH3C (triple bond) CH
i tried to rank them using the Pka values but I couldn't find the pKa value of the alkyne and I thought the H3CNH2 was the strongest but it's not?
- chem - DrBob222, Tuesday, February 15, 2011 at 12:51pm
The strongest is the triple bond with terminal H. You had that ranked correctly yesterday when you first posted this problem.
Next is double bond with terminal H.
CH3NH2 is an amine and is basic. That will be the weakest acid listed.
You place H2O and CH4. Can you find the pKa values for CH4 and H2O? I think H2O is 16 but I'm not sure my memory is that good and I don't know pKa for CH4. However, the two go between the amine and the double bond with terminal H.
- chem - Anonymous, Tuesday, February 15, 2011 at 5:23pm
wow.....not even close to the answer....
it was H2O first and then the triple bond, the amine, double bond, and CH4....
- chem - britt, Tuesday, November 27, 2012 at 2:18am
I did this same problem on Sapling Learning and I can confirm Anonymous's answer is correct. Now, if only someone can explain why it makes sense. Is it just comparing pKa values?
- chem - Gewel, Sunday, January 13, 2013 at 9:47am
What is the name to h2c
- chem - Qua..., Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 3:46pm
sp C is more acidic than sp2 C which is more acidic than sp3 C because it is more electronegative relatively. Thus, alkene (triple bond) acidity > alkene > alkane
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Relative Acidities - Rank the given compounds on their relative acidity. Here ...
- ochem - list from strongest acid to weakest acid HC(triple bond)CCH3 H2C=CH2 ...
- Chemistry - Rank the following solutions in order of increasing acidity. 1 M ...
- Chemistry - Rank the following compounds in order of increasing acid strength (1...
- chemistry - Rank the following compounds in order of increasing acid strength (1...
- space/astronomy - Rank the objects based on the strength of the gravitational ...
- science - Rank the species from strongest to weakest base: Cl-, OH-,NH2
- Chemistry - Rank the following Bronsted acids from strongest to weakest: H-SH H-...
- Chemistry - Rank these acids from weakest to strongest: H2C2O4, HCO3-, H2PO4-, ...
- chemistry - Consider the Ka values for the following acids: Cyanic acid, HOCN, 3...