Posted by Mike on Monday, February 14, 2011 at 10:15pm.
Computers manufactured by a certain company have a serial number consisting of a letter of the alphabet followed by a six-digit number. If all the serial numbers of this type have been used, how many sets have already been manufactured?
- math - MathMate, Monday, February 14, 2011 at 10:26pm
Since there are always 2 letters and 6 digits, and the order of the letters and digits do matter, it is a question of permutations.
We take the letters and digits in sequence, and multiply together the possible choices for each:
First letter: 26
Second letter: 26
digit 1: 10
digit 2: 10
digit 3: 10
digit 4: 10
digit 5: 10
digit 6: 10
So the number of computers manufactured if all numbers have been used is:
- math - Mike, Monday, February 14, 2011 at 10:37pm
so the answer is 676,000,000 sets?
- math - MathMate, Monday, February 14, 2011 at 10:39pm
However, teachers would like to see how your number was obtained. Do NOT just give a numerical result. Most of the time, the numerical number is less interesting (to the teacher).
- math - Ralph, Monday, March 28, 2011 at 5:36pm
Above is wrong. It says 1 Letter and 6 digits. so answer is 26 * 10^6 or 26,000,000
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Computers manufactured by a certain company have a serial number ...
- Math - A warranty identification number for a certain product consists of a ...
- math-permutuation - a four digit serial number needs to be created using digits ...
- Social Studies - I have a project in my Mysteries of History class in which I ...
- Socal Studies - I have a project in my Mysteries of History class in which I ...
- Computers2 - In the following routing table entry, where will a packet addressed...
- Discrete Math - A factory makes automobile parts. Each part has a code ...
- Statistics - An electronics company is about to launch a new product. If the ...
- math - It was noticed that some cars have license plates with 3 letters followed...
- Math - If a license plate number starts with a letter of the alphabet followed ...