Posted by Mike on Monday, February 14, 2011 at 5:21pm.
I still have a few doubts about the use of the gerund and infinitive in English. I hope you can have a look at these sentences, too.
1)I cannot resist drinking a glass of water.
2) He missed being tested. He missed being struck by the ball.
3) She caused me to sign the contract.
4) I failed to understand his proposal.
5) She persuaded me to take her on a trip to France.
6) Are the following verbs always followed by the infinitive and not by the indirect object?
She swore (not me) not to tell any more lies.
She threatened to fire me.
She promised (not me) notto come to the party.
7) She pretended not to know Jane. The patient appeared to be better.
She mentioned making a school trip to France.
8) She resented not being cotacted by the manager.
She chose not to partake in the students' exchange.
He hurried to answer the question.
- English - Writeacher, Monday, February 14, 2011 at 5:48pm
All look good, and yes, in #6 the infinitives are correct.
The only question I have involves the meanings of the sentences in #2. If you say "he missed" something, then you mean he wishes it had happened, he wishes he hadn't missed it. I think you want this wording in these sentences:
He wasn't tested.
He wasn't struck by the ball.
For the second sentence, if you mean the ball just barely missed him (didn't hit him), then you could write, "The ball just missed him," or "He just missed being struck by the ball."
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - I still have a few doubts on the use of infinitive and gerund. I hope ...
- english - 7.Sneezing spreads colds. Present participle Gerund Infinitive Past ...
- English - What is a verb form ending with -ing called? 1. gerund infinitive ...
- English - I can't find a good example with "except" followed by the gerund. I ...
- English - Writeacher, I really hope you can have a look at my last examples. I ...
- English - I still have a few doubts on sentences you checked yesterday. 1) I did...
- English - This is what I think they are 1."Leaving their native land to colonize...
- English - 1.Identify the underline phrase in the sentences: "Accordong to the ...
- English - I need to give example of these verbs when followed by the gerund or ...
- English - I still have a few doubts on some sentences. I really hope you can ...