Posted by JuliaAnne on Monday, February 14, 2011 at 3:06pm.
Sikve the following by using substitution method
6x-18y = -30
I got this far and I'm stuck
6(3y-5) - 18y = -30
18y - 30 - 18y = -30
-30 = -30
So this doesn't make sense anymore
- AlgebraII-Reiny could you please check-I'm stuck - Reiny, Monday, February 14, 2011 at 3:13pm
you did nothing wrong.
Notice that if you divide your second equation by 6 , you get
x - 3y = -5, which is really the same as your first equation.
So you were actually only given one equation twice.
In general, if you solve using proper algebra and your variables disappear, one of two things can happen
1. the resulting statement is TRUE.
in that case, there will be an infinite number of correct solutions. This is your case
2. the resulting statement in FALSE.
in that case there is no solution.
So your pair of equations have an infinite number of solutions, just form a table of values for
x = 3y - 5 to get a few of them if you have to
- AlgebraII-Please recheckReiny or anyone available to help could you please check-I'm stuck - JuliaAnne, Monday, February 14, 2011 at 4:50pm
So some possible answers would be:
is that correct then?
Answer this Question
- Math - How do you solve this by substitution? x=6y+2 3x-18y=4 This is the answer...
- Algebra (Intermediate) - 5. Solve using the elimination method. Show your work. ...
- Algebra - Can someone please check my work for me. Q: Plot the graph of the ...
- algebra - How would you solve the systemof equations using the substitution ...
- Math - Substitution X-6y=4 3x-18y=4
- Intermediate Algebra - Solve using the elimination method. Show your work. 14x+...
- Mrs sueeee - Substitution X-6y=4 3x-18y=4
- intermediate algebra - solve using the elimination method. show your work. if ...
- algebra - Please rewrite the following equation so that y is a function of x. 3x...
- Algebra - I'm having trouble working out these problems. Could someone please ...