Posted by Sidney on Monday, February 14, 2011 at 3:06pm.
There are two positive numbers that can be inserted between 3 and 9 such that the first three are in geometric progression while the last three are in arithmetic progression. Find the sum of those two numbers.
- math - Reiny, Monday, February 14, 2011 at 3:17pm
let the sequence be
3 a b 9
then b/a = 9/b and b-a = 9-b
from the first...
b^2 = 9a
a = b^2/9
from the second...
a = 2b-9
so b^2/9 = 2b-9
b^2 = 18b - 81
b^2 - 18b + 81 = 0
(b-9)(b-9) = 0
b = 9
then a = 9
sum of these two numbers is 18
- math - Sidney, Monday, February 14, 2011 at 3:23pm
Thanks, this helped a lot! :)
- ERROR - math - Reiny, Monday, February 14, 2011 at 3:40pm
My solution is wrong, I misread the question.
b/a = a/3 ---- a^2 = 3b
b-a = 9-b ---> a = 2b-9
then (2b-9)^2 = 3b
4b^2 - 36b + 81 = 3b
4b^2 -39b + 81 = 0
b = (39 ± √225)/8
= 27/4 or 3
if b=3, then a = 3, sum of those two is 6
if b = 27/4, then a = 9/2 or 4.5 , their sum is
however.... 3 3 3 9 does not satisfy the original condition, while
3 , 9/2 , 27/4 , 9 does work
so the 2 numbers inserted are 9/2 and 27/4
or 4.5 and 6.75
their sum is 11.25
sorry about the previous post.
- math - Sidney, Monday, February 14, 2011 at 3:49pm
Ah, okay I see. Thanks for correcting it.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra/Number Theory - In a sequence of four positive numbers, the first three ...
- math - The first, the third and the seventh terms of an increasing arithmetic ...
- Math - Three numbers form a geometric progression. If 4 is subtracted from the ...
- Math (Geometric Progression) - 5 distinct positive reals form an arithmetic ...
- Math - 5 distinct positive reals form an arithmetic progression. The 1st, 2nd ...
- Arithmetic - The first, second and third terms of a geometric progression are 2k...
- Maths - 1..The first 2 terms of a geometric progression are the same as the ...
- math - The third,sixth and seventh terms of a geometric progression(whose common...
- mathematics :geometric progression - The first three terms of a geometric ...
- arithmetic - 1. The first and last term of an A.P are, a and l respectively, ...