Posted by cheryl on Monday, February 14, 2011 at 12:42am.
find two numbers whose product is N^2 and whose sum is a minimum
- math - Reiny, Monday, February 14, 2011 at 8:46am
let one number be x, then the other is n^2/x
sum = x + n^2/x
d(sum)/dx = 1 - n^2/x^2 = 0 for a minimum
n^2/x^2 = 1
n/x = ± 1
x = N or x = -N
e.g. If N^2 = 144
then both numbers would be 12 (or
both numbers would be -12)
factors of 144
= 12x12 ---- sum = 24
= 4x36 ---- sum = 40
= 8x18 --- sum = 26
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Find: Two numbers whose sum -10 and whose product is 5. ;;; x+y = -10 x...
- calculus - Find two positive numbers whose product is 100 and whose sum is a ...
- Math - Minimizing Sum: Find two positive numbers whose sum is 100 and the sum of...
- Math - Find two numbers whose difference is 16, and the sum of whose squares a ...
- math - Find two numbers (exactly) whose product is 10 and whose sum is 18.
- Calculus - find the two numbers whose sum of the squares is a minimum if the ...
- Calculus - Find two numbers whose difference is 132 and whose product is a ...
- Please Help ! Calculus - Find two numbers whose sum is 42 and whose product will...
- math - what are two whole numbers whose product is 1224 and whose sum is 70
- math - Leah is throwing discs onto a board numbered 1 to 20. To win a prize she ...