Posted by Little on Sunday, February 13, 2011 at 2:47pm.
Consider the curve given by the equation y^3+3x^2y+13=0
b. Write an equation for the line tangent to the curve at the point (2,-1)
c. Find the minimum y-coordinate of any point on the curve.
the work for these would be appreciated i dont need the answers.
- calculus - Reiny, Sunday, February 13, 2011 at 3:11pm
3y^2 dy/dx + 3x^2 dy/dx + 6xy + 0 = 0
dy/dx(3y^2 + 3x^2) = -6xy
dy/dx/ = -6xy/(3y^2 + 3x^2)
b) sub in x = 2, to get the slope, then use the grade 9 way to find the equation of a line given the slope and a point.
c) set dy/dx = 0
so -6xy = 0
x = 0 or y = 0
when x = 0, y^3 +1 = -13
y = (-13)^(1/3) = appr. - 2.35
when y = 0, 0 + 0 + 13 = 0 , not possible.
so we have one turning point at (0,-2.35)
what about when x becomes large either + or -
investigate for x = 100
y^3 + 30000y = -13
y = -13/30000 which approaches zero.
the same thing is true if x = -100
so the minimum value of y is -2.35 when x = 0
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - Please help this is due tomorrow and I dont know how to Ive missed a ...
- AP Calculus - Consider the curve given by x^2+4y^2=7+3xy a) Show that dy/dx=(3y-...
- AP AB Calculus - Linear approximation: Consider the curve defined by -8x^2 + 5xy...
- calculus - Consider the curve defined by 2y^3+6X^2(y)- 12x^2 +6y=1 . a. Show ...
- Calculus - the curve: (x)(y^2)-(x^3)(y)=6 (dy/dx)=(3(x^2)y-(y^2))/(2xy-(x^3)) a...
- calculus - Consider line segments which are tangent to a point on the right half...
- calculus - 1. Given the curve a. Find an expression for the slope of the curve ...
- Calculus - Consider the curve -8x^2+5xy+y^3=-149 1. Find Dy/dx 2. write an ...
- calculus - Consider curve given by x^2+ 4y^2= 7 + 3xy.. Three part question A) ...
- 12th Grade Calculus - 1. a.) Find an equation for the line perpendicular to the ...