Posted by brain on Saturday, February 12, 2011 at 12:19am.
One morning, 8/9 of the customers at the diner ordered coffee. Regular coffee was ordered three times as much as flavored coffee. What fractional part of the customers orderd flavored coffee?
I did it this way 8/9x3/1= 24/9=8/3 I got 2 2/3
It is wrong so please show me how to do this problem
- math 5th grade - Bosnian, Saturday, February 12, 2011 at 1:54am
4F=8/9 Divide with 4
- math 5th grade - coursonc, Sunday, August 28, 2011 at 2:29am
First off, 8 out of 9 customers ordered coffee, not 8/9 of a customer, as that doesn't make sense, (maybe one customer forgot his wallet, lol)customers are whole numbers and not fractional, use your brain.
So: R+F=8 and,
3F=R, thus substituting 3F for R,
3F+F=8 or 4F=8 or F=2
If F=2, then R=6 since 3(2)=6
Since the question is asking not the total number of customers ordering flavored coffee,(which is 2) but what FRACTIONAL part of the customers total(which is 8) that ordered flavored coffee, the answer would be 2/8 or 1/4 of the customers.
Answer this Question
- math 5th grade - One morning, 8/9 of the customers at the diner ordered coffee. ...
- 6th Grade Math Homework Check - In the first hour after opening, a coffee shop ...
- Statistics - A coffee company wants to make sure that there coffee is being ...
- Algebra - Hot Java Coffee Company adverties their decaffeinated coffee as 97% ...
- math - I need to solve as an equation. A coffee merchant has coffee beans that ...
- Maths - A coffee urn holds 12 litres when full. Harry fills coffee cups from the...
- maths - A coffee urn holds 12 litres when full. Harry fills coffee cups from the...
- Chemistry - At a local convenience store, you purchase a cup of coffee, but, at ...
- physics - How many grams of coffee must evaporate from 350 g of coffee in a 100-...
- Math - Amanda received a 70 gift card for a coffee store. She used it in buying ...