Posted by Annie on Friday, February 11, 2011 at 5:34pm.
Can someone help me analyze this poem? I don't understand the poem
From a Correct Address in a Suburb of a Major City
By Helen Sorrels (1908)
She wears her middle age like a cowled
Gown, sleeved in it, folded high
At the breast
Charming, proper at cocktails
But the inner one raging
And how to hide her
How to keep her leashed, contain
The heat of her, the soaring cry
Never yet loosed,
Demanding a chance before the years devour her,
Before the marrow of her fine long legs
Congeals and she
Settles forever for this street, this house,
Her face set to the world
Above the shocked, astonished
- English - Ms. Sue, Friday, February 11, 2011 at 6:09pm
To me, this sounds like a frustrated middle-aged woman. She's bemoaning the loss of her youth and her hopes. She feels stuck in her same old routine in her same old house. While she goes through the social motions, she's yearning for something more and her inner self cries out in rage about her advancing years.
- English - Annie, Saturday, February 12, 2011 at 1:54am
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- English - I need to write a poem in the style of an American romantic poet. I ...
- english - Has anybody read the poem Calgary 2am? If so, can anyone help me ...
- english - Which of the following statements BEST explains why "I Am Offering ...
- English - How do you analyze a poem???...i always have trouble trying to ...
- 9th grade lit poem - I need assistance I was on here before with this poem but ...
- English - Can someone help me with these questions please. Bret Harte "Plain ...
- english - We have to do an oral commentary and analyze an poem that can be ...
- English - I did not really understand the poem, Moon Rondeau. Here is the lyrics...
- English - Hi, I am trying to analyze this poem. It is called "On watching ...
- Englsih II - Review the poems we have studied in this unit and select the one ...