Posted by Tiffany on Thursday, February 10, 2011 at 1:09am.
I am really have a tough time trying to solve this problem. I think my first three steps are correct but I am not sure. Could someone please help me? I got lost somewhere on one of these steps. I thonk it was step 3, 4, 5. Thank you.
The two numbers chosen for my solution will be 3 and 6.
Solving the system of equations by the Addition/Subtraction method
Step 1 – Write both equations in the form of ax+ by= c
Equation 1: 4x-y = 3
Equation 2: x+y = 6
Step 2 –Multiply one or both equations by numbers so that the absolute values of the either of the coefficients of the x terms or the y terms are alike, I will multiply my equation by -4.
x + y = 6
-4(x + y) = -4(6)
-4x -4y = -24
Step 3 – Eliminate one of the variables by adding the equations if the signs of the coefficients of the variable are different. Subtract the equations if the signs of the coefficients of the variable are the same.
(4x – y = 3) + (-4x -4y = -24)
-3y = -12 --> y = 3
Step 4 – Plug back into equation 1 to solve for x:
4x – y = 3
4x – (3) = 6
2x = 12 --> x = 6
CHECK using equation 2:
x+y = 6+ 3 = 9
So the solution is (6
- Math - Reiny, Thursday, February 10, 2011 at 9:04am
This looks like a lot of
"Much Ado About Nothing"
If your equations are
x+y = 6 , why not just add them as they are?
x=9/5 or 1.8
sub into x+y=6
you can get
y = 4.2
your solution of x=6, y=3 work in your second equation, but not in the first.
So your solution is incorrect.
The error was when you added your equations
-5y = -21
y = -21/-5 = 4.2
- Math - renos, Monday, November 21, 2011 at 3:21pm
solve one equation for x and plug the answer to the other equation and solve it
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Hey! So, I've been working on this problem for awhile but I'm currently a...
- College Finite Math - Suppose for this problem that Pr[E]=13/24 and Pr[F]=5/8 ...
- math - Consider the following students method of solving the proportion 8/5 = 20...
- Math, check my answer. thanks - Consider the following students’ methods of ...
- Math - Could someone please help me with this math problem. I am lost on trying ...
- Math - 3x-4 to y+15 is constant and y=3 when x=2 then when y=12, x equals? My ...
- algebra - Hi, can someone please help me with this question? When each of three ...
- Math(Please check) - I am trying to find the standard form of this equation for ...
- Math - please elaborate - can someone please further explain my question on? it'...
- polynomials - can someone please help me with this problem I have to get the sum...