Posted by Leanna on Wednesday, February 9, 2011 at 6:39am.
A cubic polynomial function f is defined by f(x) = 4x^3 + ax^2 + bx + k?
A cubic polynomial function f is defined by:
f(x) = 4x^3 + ax^2 + bx + k
where a, b, and k are constants.
The function f has a local minimum at x= -1, and the graph of f has a point of inflection at x= -2.
a) Find the values of a and b
b) If ∫ (from 0 to 1) f(x) dx = 32, what is the value of k?
I found a=24 and b=36
i don't know about B)
Calculus - MathMate, Wednesday, February 9, 2011 at 6:56am
f'(x)=0 has roots at x=-3 and -1, so that checks.
f"(x)=0 has a root at x=-2, so that checks too.
To solve B, we integrate
from 0 to 1:
Evaluate I from 0 to 1 to give k+27
But since is given as I=32, so
Solve for k.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - A cubic polynomial function f is defined by f(x) = 4x^3 + ax^2 + bx...
- calculus - A cubic polynomial function f is defined by f(x)= 4x^3+ab^2+bx+k ...
- Calculus - Functions? - #1. A cubic polynomial function f is defined by f(x) = ...
- AP CALC. AB - 2. A cubic function is a polynomial of degree 3 and has the form y...
- Whats the answer - Write the polynomial in standard form. Then name the ...
- algebra - A cubic polynomial function f(x) has leading coefficient -2 and ...
- 8th Grade Algebra - Multiply. 1) (3t^2 - 2t - 4) * (5t + 9) Writing. 1) Explain ...
- Math:Polynomial Functions - h(x) = -7x I was thinking that this was not a ...
- maths - what is the coefficient of (x+2)^3 in the cubic taylor polynomial about...
- algebra - What is cubic polynomial function in standard form with zero 1, -2, ...