Posted by karina on Tuesday, February 8, 2011 at 10:33pm.
Tamara is flying in a hot air balloon. The hot air balloons is flying at an altitude of 1100 feet. The ground distance to the landing site is 1400 feet.
What is Tamara's angle of depression to the landing site?
What is the actual distance between the hot air balloon and the landing site?
- pre cal - anon, Tuesday, February 8, 2011 at 10:58pm
If you sketch this out you will have a right triangle, I will call ABC.
A is the vertex = angle of depression
AC (side b) = base = 1400 feet
BC (side a) = leg = 1100 feet
AB (side c) = hypotenuse = distance to landing site
To find angle A (angle of depression)
tan A = a/b = 1100/1400 = 0.7857
tan A = 0.7857
arctan 0.7857 = 38.16 deg
To find C (distance to airport)
c^2 = a^2 + b^2
c^2 = 1100^2 + 1400^2
c^2 = 1,210,000 + 1,960,000
c^2 = 3,170,000
c = 1780.45 feet
1780.45/5280 feet in mile = 0.34 miles
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- pre cal - Tamara is flying in a hot air balloon. The hot air balloon is flying ...
- math - After flying at an altitude of 600 meters,a hot air balloon starts to ...
- physics - There are many ropes keeping a hot air balloon from floating away ...
- geometry - Hot air balloons require large amounts of both hot air and fabric ...
- Math - Hot air balloons If the hot air balloon shown is in the shape of a ...
- pre cal - an airplane is flying at an altitude of 2500 feet parallel to the ...
- physics - a hot air balloon rise above the ground, accelerating upwards at a ...
- Math - A hot air balloon with a height of 120m is directly over a bridge that ...
- math - A hot air balloon descends at a rate of 320 feet per minute for 3 minutes...
- science - A sandbag falls from a hot air balloon that is rising with a constant ...