Posted by Jorge on Tuesday, February 8, 2011 at 6:14pm.
The altitude upon the hypotenuse of a right triangle divides the hypotnuse into segments of 3 and 12. find the length of the altitude
- geometry - Reiny, Tuesday, February 8, 2011 at 6:32pm
let that altitude be x
Can you see how that altitude splits your right-angled triangle into two smaller right-angled triangles which are similar?
so you can set up the ratio
x = 6
- geometry - helper, Tuesday, February 8, 2011 at 6:45pm
The measure of the altitude drawn from the vertex of the right angle of a right triangle to its hypotenuse is the geometric mean between the measures of the two segments of the hypotenuse.
Triangle ABC, where A is the vertex, CB is the hypotenuse, and AD is the altitude.
AD = altitude, CD = 3, DB = 12
AD/DB = CD/AD
AD/12 = 3/AD
(AD)^2 = 36
AD = (sqrt(3 * 12))
AD = (sqrt(36))
AD = 6
- geometry - Jorge, Tuesday, February 8, 2011 at 6:48pm
Thanku sooo much!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Geometry - The altitude of the hypotenuse of a right triangle divides the ...
- Math - the altitude, AD, to the hypotenuse BC of right triangle ABC divides the ...
- Geometry - The altitude to the hypotenuse of a right triangle ABC divides the ...
- Math - the right triangle ABC, the altitude from vertex C divides the hypotenuse...
- geometry - the vertices of triangle ABC are A(1,7)B(9,3)C(3,1) a.prove that the ...
- Geometry - If the length of the altitude of the hypotenuse of a right triangle ...
- Geometry - I need help in this problem: A 14-foot ladder is leaning against a ...
- Geometry - The legs of a right triangle are 5cm and 12 cm long. Find the ...
- Geometry - Find the value of x and y in a right triangle. The hypotenuse has a ...
- math - The legs of a right triangle are 3 and 4 units long. Find the lengths, to...