Posted by James on Tuesday, February 8, 2011 at 11:45am.
3 H2 (g) + N2 (g) --> 2 NH3 (g)
How many liters of ammonia gas can be produced from 10.0 L of N2 and
20.0 L of H2? Assume all gases are measured at the same temperature and pressure.
Chemistry - Gemma, Tuesday, February 8, 2011 at 1:00pm
The first step would be to calculate the MR's of each substance so you could get the reacting masses so:
3H2 = (3 x 2 x 1) = 6
N2 = 14 x 2 = 28
2NH3 = (2 x 14) + (2 x 3 x 1) = 34
so in theory you need 6litres of H2 and 28litres of N2 to produce 34litres of NH3.
Is the question asking for two values or are we to assume that one of them is in excess?
The next step would be to convert to the numbers given in the question. For this I am going to assume that the hydrogen is given in excess.
so instead of 28 litres of nitrogen, I now have 10 litres. First consider 1 litre of nitrogen.
28/28 = 1 so all the other numbers need to be divided by 28.
1litre of N2 and 6/28litres of H2 make 34/28litres of NH3.
so 10 litres would be 10 times all of this.
10 litres of N2 and 10 x (6/28) litres of H2 make 10 x (34/28) litres of NH3.
10 x (34/28) = 12.1 litres of NH3
I know this is confusing, I hope this makes sense.
Chemistry - jerome, Tuesday, March 8, 2011 at 9:35pm
what if you want to calculate the number of moles ammonia gas from 3.0L of H2 and 3.0L of N2
Chemistry - ida, Friday, October 21, 2016 at 10:31pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chem - 3 H2 (g) + N2 (g) --> 2 NH3 (g) How many liters of ammonia gas can be ...
- college chemistry - Consider the following equation: 4 NH3(g) + 5 O2(g)= 4 NO(g...
- Chemistry - Consider the following equation: 4NH3(g) + 5O2(g)----> 4NO(g)+...
- Chemistry - What volume of nitrogen gas can be produced from he decomposition of...
- Chemistry - Ok so I realize this is a lot of questions, but if someone could at ...
- Chemistry - I posted this before and I know now to use P1T2=P2T1 but I was ...
- Chemistry - Ammonia (NH3) is formed industrially by reacting nitrogen and ...
- chemistry - When 6 liter of nitrogen gas reacts with 18 liters of hydrogen gas ...
- Chemistry - What volume of hydrogen is necessary to react with five liters of ...
- chemistry - Ammonia is often produced by reacting nitrogen gas with hydrogen gas...