My considered opinion:
How are geography and history related?
• Geography affects history how?
• Geography is the study of the earth and its features.
• History is the study of time. It is the study of humanity’s past.
• Geography affects the outcome of events. A people’s way of life can be determined by its environment. The physical characteristics of an area can affect aspects of history such as the outcome of battles or the establishment of trade routes. You need to supply lots of details, serving as examples of each point you're trying to make here.
• A thriving civilization centered around a river valley might not have existed what? You haven't studied about the Nile River, Indus River, and Tigris and Euphrates Rivers and their ancient civilizations?
• geography affects the outcome of events and the decisions people make need many details and examples here
What are the advantages and disadvantages of Europe’s geography?
Europe is a peninsula, therefore giving easy access to oceans and seas which open vast opportunities for trade with foreign countries. The climate is favorable <~~What does "favorable" mean? to the population inhabiting the “area” and is “good for”<~~Why all the quotation marks? Are you quoting someone? Who? From where? growing crops.<~~What does "good for growning crops" mean? The Pyrenees and Alps Mountains act as a natural barriers and provide protection from invaders. The physical characteristics of Europe provide many beneficial “ “ for the continent.<~~One word that would fit is "attributes" -- but be sure to name some examples.
How has Europe’s geography affected its history?
You are writing in incredible generalities. You need to give lots of details and examples for every generalization you make -- otherwise, why should anyone believe you? You need to be convincing in your writing, and "convincing" is not achieved by sweeping generalizations.
growing, not growning!!
-Oh, and what I meant about the thriving civilizations around rivers (Tigris, etc) might not have existed if it weren't for the rivers that provided fertile soil.
Here's my thesis statement so far:
The geography of Europe, which includes several defining features such as the Pyrenees, the Balkan Peninsula, the Northern European Plain, and the Central Russian Upland, helped shape its history by defining trade routes, deciding battles, and creating entire new and different cultures.
Here's my introduction. Anything I should revise?
The physical characteristics of a region can have a very significant impact on its history. Two regions very near to each other could develop completely different ways of life due to their different geographies. This relationship means that understanding geography is an essential part of understanding history. For instance, the advantages and disadvantages of Europe’s geography have helped define what it is like today. As much of Europe is a large peninsula, trade was able to flourish. In addition, the large mountain ranges provide both protection and isolation from other countries. The geography of Europe, which includes several defining features such as the Pyrenees, the Balkan Peninsula, the Northern European Plain, and the Central Russian Upland, helped shape its history by defining trade routes, deciding battles, and creating entire new and different cultures.
The last sentence is supposed to be my thesis statement, by the way.
Thanks so much! You were really helpful! I got a 100 on my essay. :)
Thank you so much! This helped me immensely.