Posted by Ryan on Monday, February 7, 2011 at 7:50am.
Doing this assignment and was wondering if i got the right answers
According to the Census Bureau publication Current Population Reports, the probability distribution for household size (number of people per household, say X) in the United States is as follows. For the purpose of the next two questions, the experiment consists of randomly selecting a household in the United States and observing the number of people living there.
x 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P(X = x) 0.16 0.32 0.05 0.31 0.10 0.05 0.01
How many people can we expect to see living in the randomly chosen household?
What is the probability that the randomly selected household will contain more than 4 people?
For the first one i got 1.79 and for the second i don't know if i did it right but i got .53
- Stats- need someone to check - drwls, Monday, February 7, 2011 at 10:23am
The expectation value, or mean value, is the sum of the x*P(x) products, which is 3.06
Of course, one would not expect to find 6% of a person in a house. On the other hand, 3 is a relatively unlikely number for this distribution. 2 and 4 are seen much more often.
I do not like the way the question is worded. If they want the mean vaue, they should say so.
For the second, you do not need to use a normal distribution and compute the standard deviation etc.. Just add P(5), P(6) and P(7). You get 0.16
- Stats- need someone to check - Ryan, Tuesday, February 8, 2011 at 3:17am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Stats- NEED HELP - According to the Census Bureau publication Current ...
- Geometry - In the 2001 population census, information was collected about the ...
- StatIstics - "Household size" is defined as the number of people living in a ...
- Computers-Java - I am writing a computer program to calculate the number of ...
- Statistics - A survey organization takes a simple random sample of 625 ...
- Statistics - According to Pew Research, the contact rate (probability of ...
- probs & stats - 1. A study of 40 people found that they could do on the ...
- Algebra 2 - According to the US Census Bureau, the population of the United ...
- Math - According to the U. S. Census Bureau, the total 2008 U.S. population was ...
- Stats - -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- • Give a table extrapolating potential capacity using 1,000 households as a standard unit. o Using 3 hour window as the measurement tool o Using 7 hour window as the measurement tool o Include a column on number of buses need to cover the City (if it were broken into 1,000 household units) 3 hours vs. 7 hours o Include a column on number of staff needed (I would assume a 10 man team per bus including 1 driver, 2 navigators, 1 ham, 6 runners) 3 hours vs. 7 hours o Include number of police escorts needed as well. This number should match the number of buses used o Assuming a 7 hour run would be one shift could you create another table that has covering the City with (2) 7 hour shifts. Info Provided: Single Family Population—174,777 Multi family population—49,379 Single family household units—59,814 Multifamily household units—18,754