Posted by Rachal on Friday, February 4, 2011 at 5:58pm.
Below is the graph of a polynomial function f with real coefficients. Use the graph to answer the following questions about f. All local extrema of f are shown in the graph.
I really need help with this one but I can't post the graph.
- Algebra - Damon, Friday, February 4, 2011 at 6:15pm
wherever it crosses the x axis is a zero so
(x - xcrossing ) is a factor
If it gets near the x axis but goes horizontal and veers away again, that is a complex root pair.
y = x^2 + 2 x + 4
x = [ -2 +/-sqrt (4 - 16)]/2
x = -1 +/- (1/2)sqrt (-12)
= -1 +/- i sqrt 3
where would that be horizontal (extrema)?
0 = 2x + 2
x = -1 at extrema (sure enough)
- Algebra - Damon, Friday, February 4, 2011 at 6:24pm
if it goes big +y for both big plus and minus x, then the first term is a x^even power
if it is big minus for -x and big Plus for +x (or vice versa for - coefficient)then first term is x^odd power.
- Algebra - Anonymous, Wednesday, June 1, 2011 at 6:02pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - file:///C:/Users/Pat/Downloads/IMG_0166.JPG Above is a graph of a ...
- Calculus - Functions? - #1. A cubic polynomial function f is defined by f(x) = ...
- College Algebra - 1.Answer the following for the given quadratic function. f(x...
- MATH TRIGONOMETRY - refer to the polynomial function f(x)= -x(x-1)(x+2) in ...
- College Algebra - 1.The graph of y = - 1/2 |x - 5| - 3 can be obtained from the ...
- calculus - answer the questions about the following function f(x)= 10x^2/x^4+25 ...
- college algebra - Graph the following function using transformations. Be sure ...
- college algebra - Question 638522: Graph the following function using ...
- math - The graph of a second-order polynomial is shown below, and the intercepts...
- Math - I'm after understanding more than an answer but an answer would be ...