Posted by alexa on Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 5:07pm.
john's paint crew knows from experience that its 18 ft ladder is particularly stable when the distance from the ground to the top of the ladder is 5 ft more than the distance from the building to the base of the ladder. in this position, how far up the building does the ladder reach?
- functions - helper, Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 5:36pm
This is a geometry problem.
The ladder up against the wall forms a right triangle.
x = base
x + 5 = opposite side
18 = hypotenuse
Using the Pythagorean theorem,
x^2 + (5 + x)^2 = 18^2
Solve for x
5 + x = how far up the blding the ladder reaches.
- functions - Reiny, Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 5:37pm
let the base be x ft
then the height is x+5 ft
solve x^2 + (x+5)^2 = 18^2
- functions - Anonymous, Wednesday, September 4, 2013 at 3:03pm
- functions - Mighty, Thursday, October 10, 2013 at 10:27pm
x = 9.989983874
Use that answer to check your work.
(9.979983874)^2 + (9.979983874 + 5)^2 = 18^2
The height is exactly 14.979983874 ft.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- algebra 2 - A ladder of 25ft is placed against a building in such a way that the...
- college algebra - A contractor leans a 23-foot ladder against a building. The ...
- math - You have a 20-foot ladder that you are using as you paint your house. You...
- algebra - A ladder is resting against a wall. The top of the ladder touches the ...
- Intermediate Algebra - A ladder is leaning against a house. the distance from ...
- Algebra 1 - A ladder is resting against a wall. The top of the ladder touches ...
- math - A 13 feet ladder is leaning against a house. The distance from the bottom...
- Calculus - A fence 5 feet tall runs parallel to a tall building at a distance of...
- math word problems - A ladder is leaning against a building. The distance from ...
- maths - A 20 foot ladder is leaning against a building.if the ratio of the base ...