Posted by Malena on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 at 8:55pm.
I am so bad at word problems! Help me find out how to figure this one out.
1/5 of the boys are absent and 2/5 of the girls are absent in Drew’s class. Bert thinks that you multiply, so his answer is 2/5 of the class are out. Elmo thinks that means 3/5 of the class is out. Ernie thinks 3/10 of the class is out. Kermit didn’t find out how much of the class are out, but he thinks the answer is between 1/5 and 2/5. Analyze each person’s answer to find out who is right. Then determine who knows the most math.
math - Reiny, Tuesday, February 1, 2011 at 9:10pm
absent: b/5 + 2g/5
fraction absent = (b+2g)/(5b+5g)
take an example,
suppose there are 25 boys and 30 girls or 55 total
boys missing = 5
girls missing = 12
total missing = 17
fraction missing = 17/55
which is none of 2/5, 3/5, or 3/10
now 1/5 = 11/55
and 2/5 = 22/55
math - Someone, Thursday, March 17, 2011 at 4:06pm
Elmo is correct because 1/5+2/5=3/5.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - there are 13 boys and 14 girls in mrs greens class if 3 of the students ...
- math - In Rosa's class,there are 15 boys and 12 girls. On Wednesday,all the ...
- Math Help - Suppose that each student in stat. has a 9% chance of missing class ...
- Check answers please Statistics - Suppose that each student in stat. has a 9% ...
- Math - can you please help me work on this problem? I have a few and I want to ...
- Math - Im trying to help my daughter with some math homework and Im stuck can ...
- Algebra - Hi! Today I was absent from my algebra class, and they learned how to ...
- Math -fractions word problems - Three sevenths of the students in class 4C are ...
- Math question help!! - The teacher said that 1/3 of her class was absent. If ...
- math - In a class of 36 students, 13 were absent on Friday. What percent of the ...