my daughter come home with a math homework "Alphabet Polygons" I have no idea how to use the letters in the alphabet to answer the questions. Please HELP! The questions are as follow:
1) You can make polygons of some of the letters by drawing just one more line segment. Which letters are they?
2) With which letters can you make exactly 2 polygons by drawing 2 more line segments?
4) Can you make 4 polygons by drawing 4 line segments with a letter? If yes, which letter?
I try to learn and understood of a polygons definition but I still do not know how to apply them using the alphabet. I am sorry, I just don't get it. Please help!
- 3rd grade math hw help! - Anonymous, Monday, January 31, 2011 at 10:29pm
1. L can make a triangle out of L
2. K can add two lines and make two triangles.
Not sure on the rest
- 3rd grade math hw help! - Damon, Monday, January 31, 2011 at 10:31pm
Well I suppose if you draw a horizontal line under the upper case A you get two triangles, an upper one that is already there and a big one that includes the little one.
If you draw a diagonal line from upper left to lower right of Z you get two triangles.
If you surround X with horizontal and vertical lines connecting the corners, you get four triangles and the outer rectangle.
You can do this with all the letters that are composed of straight lines I think, W E T etc
- 3rd grade math hw help! - Anonymous, Monday, January 31, 2011 at 10:37pm
A polygon is a closed figure made by connecting line segments, where each line segment end connects to only one end of two other line segments.
- 3rd grade math hw help! - DIANA, Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 9:27pm
I AM AN EQUIDRATERAL TRIANGLE.ONE SIDE IS 3 INCHES LONG.HOW LONG ARE MY OTHER 2 SIDES
- 3rd grade math hw help! - Anonymous, Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 7:38pm
1. A, E, L, M, W, V
2. F, H, K, N, T, X, Z
3. K, Y
4. Yes, L, X
- 3rd grade math hw help! - hon, Sunday, March 25, 2012 at 3:20pm
5}They are round a polygon is not round!
- 3rd grade math hw help! - Anonymous, Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 9:58pm
5 d c
- 3rd grade math hw help! - Kim, Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 4:04pm
How can I do 5 1/4 line segment
- 3rd grade math hw help! - Debbie, Thursday, March 14, 2013 at 6:36pm
A polygon is a plane figure with at least three straight sides and angles, and typically five or more.
- 3rd grade math hw help! - Vinita, Monday, September 1, 2014 at 1:48pm
5. Polygons are 2-Dimensional shapes. They are made up of straight lines, and the shape is "closed". So, as per the polygon definition curved letters can not be polygons.
- 3rd grade math hw help! - Sophia, Tuesday, April 28, 2015 at 4:07pm
1polygos 1line: m w l