Posted by tommy on Sunday, January 30, 2011 at 10:10am.
What is the part of speech of can ride and for in the following sentence.
Jady can ride his new toy tractor now,for he is of restriction
- English - Writeacher, Sunday, January 30, 2011 at 10:19am
Are you sure the sentence isn't written like this?
Jady can ride his new toy tractor now, for he is off restriction.
"can ride" is the main verb of the first main clause; "can" is the auxiliary (helping) verb, and "ride" is the base word that has the meaning.
"for" is the conjunction joining the two clauses.
- english - SraJMcGin, Sunday, January 30, 2011 at 10:19am
If you are asking about "can" it is the Present Indicative Tense of the verb "to be able."
Sometimes if you can think of a synonym for a word, it will be easier to identify it. "for" = because. This word can have several functions: conjunction or preposition. If you have a good dictionary, you will find not only that but examples. This is a good time to do that, study the differences and choose one. Please post that for verification.
May I suggest you do the same with "can" because (for) learning to use a dictionary is an important skill!
- English - Writeacher, Sunday, January 30, 2011 at 10:22am
Information on auxiliary and phrasal verbs:
Information on coordinating conjunctions:
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - I want to ride. What parts of speech are to ride in this sentence.
- English - Would you like a ride home? (What is the part of speech of 'ride' and...
- english - Do you know when to ride a bike? Do you know when you should ride a ...
- English - 1. He is riding a horse. 2. He is riding on a horse. 3. He has to ride...
- English - You need to ride up the road. (Which vehicle does the other person ...
- Language Arts - 1. Which of the following transitions shows a comparison? A. ...
- English - As time passed by, I could ride faster than before. Bike riding became...
- math - Anthony plans to ride 175 km on his bike and Samantha plans to ride 250 ...
- English/ Help - It was a perfect day for a boat ride on a lovely river.? Which ...
- English - How do you tell what part of speech a word is under classification. ...