Posted by Esther on Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 8:52pm.
Is there anybody out there that can give me the answer to this problem I have tried but I can't get it. I really need to turn in my work. Thank you (4,-8); 2x+5y=4
- Algebra - Reiny, Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 9:17pm
You didn't state your problem.
Are you finding a new equation
parallel to the given line ?
perpendicular to the given line ?
- Algebra - helper, Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 9:47pm
2x + 5y = 4
Add -2x to both sides
5y = -2x + 4
divide both sides by 5
y = -2/5 y + 4/5
So, slope m = -2/5
Perpendicular lines, the slopes are negative reciprocals of each other.
Slope = -2/5
m1 * m2 = -1
-2/5 * m2 = -1
m2 = -1/(-2/5)
m2 = 5/2
Now you have to find b, for the equation of the perpendicular line.
y = mx + b
m = 5/2
y = 5/2 x + b
-8 = 5/2 (4) + b
-8 = 20/2 + b
-8 = 10 + b
-18 = b
y = 5/2 x + b
y = 5/2 + -18
y = 5/2 - 18
Follow these exact steps.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - This question I really don't get it. I tried tried tried to figure ...
- Algebra - I seriously need help on this math problem. I have tried to work it ...
- Algebra - I am in need of assistance with the following problem: v-4(4-v) = -2(...
- English - How would I answer this? I am so sorry, but I just can't afford to ...
- Math - Can you please help me with this? I dont really understand it. Q: 5(x+10...
- algebra - i have two answers to this problem so am not sure which way I need to ...
- math help - Thank you for helping me with the last problem Reiny and Bosnian. ...
- Algebra-I really need help, please? - I have to solve sqrt(2x-7) >=5 answers ...
- Algebra - Hiya. I have 7 expressions that I have been asked to simplify. I ...
- 12th grade - can anyone explain how to divide in algebra? I have this problem: (...