Posted by Jessica on Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 5:07pm.
Given that one root is 2+i, solve the equation.
So far I have it set up like this:
I don't know how to get the answer, I know that I have to use long division but when I started to try it I kept getting weird answers. Please Help
- algebra 2 - Reiny, Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 5:48pm
I think there is something wrong here,
either you have a typo in the opening equation, or the question is faulty.
If one root is 2+i, then 2-i must be another root
You correctly determined that
x^2 - 4x + 5 must then be a factor
When I divided that into the original, I got an answer of 2x^2 - x -11 with a remainder of -40x + 50
- algebra 2 - Jessica, Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 5:55pm
my bad the original equation is:
2X^4 - 9X^3 + 13X^2 - X - 5 = 0
- algebra 2 - Reiny, Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 6:02pm
Ok, this time my division was exact, as expected,
and I got 2x^2 - x - 1, which factors to
(2x + 1)(x - 1)
so the roots are
2+i, 2-i, -1/2, and 1
- algebra 2 - Jessica, Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 6:12pm
oh I get it thanks
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra 2 - 2X^4-9X^3+3X^2-X-5=0 Given that one root is 2+i, solve the equation...
- algebra 2 - 2X^4-9X^3+13X^2-X-5=0 Given that one root is 2+i, solve the equation...
- Pre Calc (For Reiny) - Thanks so much your method worked perfectly! My solution ...
- Algebra - Solve 2+ the square root of 4-x=x what is your question? ok lets start...
- Algebra - I have some problems that I am having trouble with and I have some ...
- *** Discrete Math *** - I would like to know if my answers are correct. I also ...
- College Algebra--Still Confused - I have a few problems I need help with and ...
- Pre Calc - I am familiar with this type of problem but can't seem to get the ...
- College Algebra - I have a few problems I need help with and also do have ...
- Algebra - please help me with this question and check my answers. Solve the ...