Posted by CJ on Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 7:17am.
PLEASE HELP ME! i have this homework due tomorrow and i only have 1 question left and am sooo desperate for an answer:
The diameter of the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem is 20m. If it is plated with gold that is 5cm thick, find the cost of plating the dome in gold given that 1kg of gold costs $43,395 and 1g of gold is equal to 19.3cm>3
p.s cm>3 means cm cube
- geometry - Damon, Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 7:43am
surface area of sphere = (4/3) pi r^2
surface area of hemisphere = (2/3)pi r^2
here r = 10 m
surface area = (200/3) pi meters^2
there are 10^4 cm^2 per meter^2
surface area = (200/3) pi*10^4 cm^2
volume = surface area * depth
= (200/3) pi *10^4 * 5 cm^3
grams = volume*density
= (200/3) pi *10^4 * 5 (1/19.3)
cost per gram = 43.395
cost = (200/3) pi *10^4 * 5 (1/19.3)*43.395
- geometry - drwls, Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 7:52am
The volume of the gold would be
V = (pi/4)D^2*(thickness) = 15.7 m^3
= 15.7*10^6 cm^3
The mass would be (density)*V = 303.2 *10^6 g = 303.2*10^3 kg
Multiply that by the cost per kg.
I get about 13 billion dollars
- geometry - drwls, Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 7:59am
I treated it as a 5 cm layer over a cylinder. Damon treated it as a hemisphere. He is correct.
- geometry - CJ, Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 9:55am
thank you sooo much damon :)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- GEOMETRY - PLEASE HELP ME, I HAVE AN EXAM TOMORROW AND THIS THE ONLY QUESTION I ...
- science - hi. can you help me with my homework? here is my homework. How are ...
- Chemistry - Consider two cells, the first with Al and Ag electrodes, and the ...
- Axia Math 117 - I am of need of HELP. I am working on the word problems for AXIA...
- geometry - I have a 50 question assigment that its due tomorrow and I'm stuck ...
- math - i also have a math test tomorrow and i get sooo confused with irregular ...
- HISTORY - (This homework question was removed due to a copyright claim submitted...
- ict year 8 - i`m struggling with my ict homework. i need to find the definitions...
- PLeASE Help - Can someone please take a look at my biology questions I have ...
- HELP!!!!EMERGENCY WITH THE POEM!!! - do anyone knows a poem named "Instruction ...