Posted by Leanna on Wednesday, January 26, 2011 at 3:10pm.
Consider the curve given by x^2+4y^2=7+3xy
a) Show that dy/dx=(3y-2x)/(8y-3x)
b) Show that there is a point P with x-coordinate 3 at which the line tangent to the curve at P is horizontal. Find the y-coordinate of P.
c) Find the value of d^2y/dx^2 (second derivative) at the point P found in part b). Does the curve have a local maximum, a local minimum, or neither at the point P? Justify your answer..
The only part that I did was a). I don't really know how to find Point P for b) and c)
- AP Calculus - Damon, Wednesday, January 26, 2011 at 3:37pm
2 x dx + 8 y dy = 3x dy + 3y dx
Where is the slope = 0?
where 2x = 3y
if x = 3
9 + 4 y^2 = 7 + 9 y
4 y^2 - 9 y + 2 = 0
(4y-1)(y-2) = 0
y = 1/4 or y = 2
check both of those to find which works
3*2 - 2*3 = 0
yes, (3,2) works
3/4 -6 = 0 no way so (3,2) is it
d^2y/dx^2 = [(8y-3x)(-2)-(3y-2x)(-3)] / (8y-3x)^2
= [(16-9)(-2)]/(16-9)^2 = -2/7
that is negative, so a maximum of the function
- AP Calculus - Leanna, Wednesday, January 26, 2011 at 3:47pm
Thank you so much! It makes perfect sense and when I calculated it, it matched up.
- AP Calculus - Brian, Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 10:24pm
I'm confused as to how to do part C), I don't remember how to find the second derivative of an implicit differentiation problem!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- calculus - Consider curve given by x^2+ 4y^2= 7 + 3xy.. Three part question A) ...
- calculus - Consider the curve defined by 2y^3+6X^2(y)- 12x^2 +6y=1 . a. Show ...
- Calculus - Please help this is due tomorrow and I dont know how to Ive missed a ...
- math - For the curve given by 4x^2+y^2=48+2xy, show that there is a point P with...
- Calculus - Consider the curve given by y^2 = 2+xy (a) show that dy/dx= y/(2y-x...
- Calculus - Consider the curve y^2+xy+x^2=15. What is dy/dx? Find the two points ...
- calculus - Consider the curve given by the equation y^3+3x^2y+13=0 a.find dy/dx...
- Math - In this problem we consider drawing some straight lines which form a nice...
- Calculus - Consider line segments which are tangent to a point on the right ...
- calculus - Consider line segments which are tangent to a point on the right half...