Posted by Leeroy on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 5:52am.
Stressed and Unstressed Syllables.
Hello, I've seen the previous threads about this, I'm doing the same exercise, but there are no convincing answers anywhere... So there are the instructions :
Task 4 – Say each of the following sentences and then underline the stressed syllables in each:
a) I know why he wanted to see you.
b) What’s the time?
c) Don’t forget to turn out the light!
d) It’s another beautiful day today.
We've seen that underlines don't appear on this site, so we should try to answer it another way, e.g.
i KNOW why he WANTed to see you.
The capitalized letters are the stressed syllables... of which I'm not sure at all...
English - Writeacher, Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 7:28am
You are correct in how you identified stressed and unstressed syllables in words.
"Stressed" just means that we say that syllable a bit more loudly than the unstressed syllables. You have that correctly indicated in the sentence you used as your example.
If you'll post the other sentences with such indications (CAPS for stressed syllables), we will check them for you.
English - Leeroy, Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 12:36pm
b ) WHAT's the TIME
c ) don't forGET to turn out the LIGHT.
d ) it's anOther BEAUtiful day toDAY.
Is this right ?
English - nicole, Monday, March 4, 2013 at 12:35pm
stressed syllables means you just say it a little bit lounder than the unstressed so its easy to identify the stressed syllables
English - Anonymos, Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 11:34am
Thank you, this helped alot! I love this sight!!!! Thank you MISS.SUE FOR MAKING THIS SIGHT!!! IT HELPS SOOOO MUCH!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Language Arts - what is the meter of line 27? "one by one towns pass by" A. ...
- Language Arts - What is the pattern of stressed and unstressed syllables and how...
- english - Q1.In following sentences underline the stressed syllables in each? 1....
- language arts - What are stressed and unstressed syllables? ie, where is the ...
- english - in following sentences underline the stressed syllables in each: 1.I ...
- Literary - what does this mean the definition: Word: "anapest" definition: three...
- stressed and unstressed syllables - how do you know a stressed or unstressed ...
- English - Say each of the following sentences and then underline the unstressed...
- poetry - Scan the following lines from Lowell's poem to identify the spondee. By...
- 5th grade - could you help explain unstressed syllables? Homework is to ...