Posted by Josh on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 3:02am.
A 390 kg motor boat, moving down a frictionless ramp, is connected over a massless pulley to a 193 kg counterweight that rests on a horizontal surface. The ramp is inclined by 28.6°, and the co-efficient of kinetic friction between the couterweight and the horizontal surface is 0.507.
What is the tension in the rope connecting the boat and the counterweight?
Y-Axis: mgsin0 = 0
So I'm really stuck here. I tried to figure out the relative formula's but I think I'm doing it wrong. I just need help getting started. Thanks!
Physics - bobpursley, Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 8:48am
It is uncertain to me where the weight is, vertical or not to the pulley. It matters.
why are these questions labeled physics? Do you have a math teacher teaching physics?
Physics - drwls, Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 8:50am
I do not know why you have cos9 in the second formula, nor what mTa is supposed to mean. I suppose the number 0 is supposed to be theta (28.6 degrees.
There is no hyphen in coefficient.
I do appreciate your showing your work. Almost no one does that here anymore, and I wish they would.
You need to write two equations of motion: one for the direction of the boat down the ramp, and one for the counterweight in the horizontal direction. Rope tension T will be a second variable you must solve for with the two equations.
390*g sin28.6 - T = 390 a
T - 193*g*(0.507) = 193 a
You can eliminate T by adding the two equations. Once you have a, solve for T using either equation.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - A ramp, a pulley, and two boxes. Box A, of mass 10.0 kg, rests on a ...
- Physics HELP!! pleasee - an object on an inclined ramp of mass 1.39kg. The angle...
- physics ..PLEASE HELP ASSIGN DUE SOON :( - an object on an inclined ramp of mass...
- physics - A wooden box with a mass of 10.0kg rests on a ramp that is inclined at...
- Phyiscs - A wooden box with a mass of 10.0kg rests on a ramp that is inclined at...
- Science-Physics - As shown below, a 2.00 kg mass is connected to an unknown ...
- physics - a 50kg object is suspended by a rope over a pulley which is connected ...
- physics - A box of mass 5.0 kg starting from rest slides down a 1.8 m long ramp ...
- physics - A crate slides down a ramp inclined at 26.0° from the horizontal. The ...
- physics - A 15-kg block is on a frictionless ramp that is inclined at 20° above ...