Posted by Franco on Monday, January 24, 2011 at 2:35pm.
Can you check these sentences for me, please? Thank you very much.
1) Eton College is one of the original nine English public schools and was founded in 1440 by King Henry VI . It is located in Eton, near Windsor in England, north of Windsor Castle.
2) It is a British independent school for boys aged 13 to 18. Eton has a very long tradition of talented former pupils. David Cameron, for example, is the nineteenth British Prime Minister to have attended Eton.
3)It used to be renowned for its use of corporal punishment, generally known as "beating".
4) Offending boys used to be summoned to the Head Master to receive a birching on the bare posterior in a semi-public ceremony. Up to eighty boys could be flogged publicly on the same day.
5) George Orwell couldn't stand the humiliating corporal punishments the pupils at Eton were subjects to.
6) He failed to adhere to discipline and the school's strict moral code.
He became more and more independent-minded (I need a synonym) and indifferent to accepted values.
7) Stay away from buildings.
English - SraJMcGin, Monday, January 24, 2011 at 3:13pm
5) rather than "subject" = subjected
It was Winston Churchill who said, "Never a sentence end with a preposition" meaning you might rather change the word order to not end with "to?"
Actually, I believe "caning" IS extant in areas of the world. tsk tsk
6) (this is a toughy!) autonomous, individualistic, strong-minded, self-governing?
English - Ashley, Thursday, February 17, 2011 at 11:05am
Can you tellion. me what to put in this sentence? (comma, semicolons, hyphens, colons)
1. Thank you Dr. Smith for seeing this patient in pulmonary consulat
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - Writeacher, here is the other question I'd like them to answer. 1) Go ...
- English - I still have some sentences to check. Thank you very much to you all! ...
- English - Both sentences are correct. But, perhaps a better sentence would be...
- English - I left out these other statements.Thank you very much. 1) n 1936 ...
- English - I need your help to check these sentences, Writeacher. Thank you very ...
- English - I still have to add a few sentences on history. Thank you very much. 1...
- English - Thank you very much. Could you check these sentences on history, too? ...
- English - Can you check the grammar in the following sentences, please? 1) Henry...
- English - I'm finding it dfficult to check a few more sentences. These are the ...
- English - Can you please check my last sentences. I really need to know which ...