Posted by Tezara on Sunday, January 23, 2011 at 2:43pm.
A basketball player crouches while waiting to jump for the ball. He lowers his center of gravity is 0.30 m. When he jumps for the ball, his center of gravity reaches a height of 0.90 m above its normal position.(a) Calculate the velocity of the player when his feet left the ground. (b) Calculate the acceleration he produced to achieve this velocity. (c) What force did he exert on the floor if his mass is 110 kg?
- physics - Damon, Sunday, January 23, 2011 at 3:12pm
(1/2) m v^2 = m g h = m (9.8)(.9)
v = 4.2 m/s
work done to get from -.3 m to 0 meters where feet leave ground = F*.3 = change in potential + change in kinetic
F * .3 = m g (.3) + .5 m (4.2)^2
.3 F = 110 (.3*9.8 + .5*17.64)
F = 4312 N
F - mg = m a
4312 - 1078 = 110 * a
a = 29.4 m/s^2
wow, 3 g !
- physics - Damon, Sunday, January 23, 2011 at 3:17pm
we have v = 4.2
so average v during acceleration = 2.1
so time to go up .3 m = .3/2.1 = .143
change in v/time = a = 4.2/.143 = 29.4 again
- physics - Tezara , Sunday, January 23, 2011 at 3:38pm
Thank you Damon, It's appreciated
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- physics - A bb player crouches lowering center of gravity 0.3m. when he jumps, ...
- physics - A 78 g basketball is launched at an angle of 45.4◦ and a ...
- PHYSICS - Assume: A 78 g basketball is launched at an angle of 46.7 ◦ and ...
- Physics help!! - Assume: A 78 g basketball is launched at an angle of 56.8◦...
- physics - A basketball of mass 0.602 kg is passed to a player of mass 83.0 kg ...
- Algebra 1 / physics - Multi-step prob During a trampoline competition, a ...
- Physics - I wasn't asking anyone to do it for me. I need help starting it. I've ...
- Physics - A basketball player tries to make a half-court jump shot, releasing ...
- physics - During a basketball game, a player flies above the basket and drops ...
- Physics - A basketball player is trying to make a half-court jump shot and ...