Posted by student on Sunday, January 23, 2011 at 12:01pm.
I believe I have found all the mistakes. What do you think?
Identify Twenty Errors in the Passage Below
Review the passage below, which contains 20 errors. Identify these errors by marking each of the errors in bold, and make your correction in parentheses after the error.
Example: My cars interior is black.
This must be marked as follows: My cars (car’s) interior is black.
The 20 errors are in the following categories: comma usage (six errors); question marks, apostrophes, and quotation marks (five errors); capitalization (six errors); and colons, semi-colons, and commonly misused words (three errors).
Why are great numbers of students choosing to pursue their college degrees using their home computers.(computers?) Benjamin Franklin said;(said,) A (“A)penny saved is a penny earned”. (earned.”) This principle applies to the american (American) and foreign online student. Todays (Today’s) students choose to take online courses to save money on transportation, books, babysitters (babysitters,) and supplies.
The fluctuating cost of gasoline in the united states (United States) is one reason online courses appeal to axia college (Axia College) students. They would rather cushion there(their) financial nest eggs than to spend money on replacing worn tires or risking icy road conditions.
Students also realize that a traditional college requires them to purchase numerous books (books;) however, online courses provide the majority of their course materials within the virtual classroom. A student may save hundreds of dollars on textbooks during one block of courses.
Additionally(Additionally,) online courses are convenient for parents and caregivers. College students who are responsible for children or aging parents must rely on outside help. An online student is able to avoid the high costs of hiring people to take care of their (his or her) loved ones.
Lastly, an online student does not have to purchase supplies. Pencils, pens, paper, erasers, backpacks(backpacks,) staplers, and paper clips are all needed in traditional courses. The online student needs only one tool to complete their (his or her) college (College) degree; (degree:) a home computer. A computer is an online students(student’s) conduit to class and to all the materials he or she needs.
Franklin D. roosevelt (Roosevelt) exclaimed that, “Happiness is not the mere possession of money.” He wanted Americans to understand that the joy of achievement is the path to happiness. Yet even President Roosevelt would agree that earning an online college degree is a financially wise decision.
- COM/155 - SraJMcGin, Sunday, January 23, 2011 at 12:47pm
What a fun assignment, although not the first time I've seen it. Some of the corrections would depend upon your textbook, instructions, American English punctuation vs British English punctuation.
Basic question for you: have you lined up the errors with the number you are to find?
comma = 6
question mark, apostrophe, quotations = 5
capitalization = 6
colon, semi-colon,word usage 3
Here are some variations:
whether the punctuation goes inside or outside a quotation mark
whether to put a comma during a series of items (babysitters, and supplies) or follow a modern trend to omit the final comma (babysitters and supplies.)
Since I use both American English rules and British English rules, depending upon for whom I am writing, this exercise poses a quandry for me!
Sra (aka Mme)
- COM/155 - SraJMcGin, Sunday, January 23, 2011 at 12:54pm
P.S. One other concern re: the reubric
Is correcting "United States" counting as 1 or as 2 error(s) corrected?
- COM/155 - student, Sunday, January 23, 2011 at 2:15pm
Thank you for your help!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - In paragraph 3 of Swimming Strokes by Lee Carroll, I found 3 errors in...
- English - In paragraph 1 in Swimming strokes I found 2 errors in subject-verb ...
- English - In paragraph 4 in Swimming Strokes by Lee Carroll, I found 2 errors in...
- English - In paragraph 2 of Swimming Strokes by Lee Carroll, I found 1 error in ...
- communication - Identify Twenty Errors in the Passage Below Review the passage ...
- com 155 - Review the passage below, which contains 20 errors. Identify these ...
- COM155 - I think I found all of the errors, what do you think? Identify those ...
- COM/155 - Can you take a look and tell me what you thing? Thanks Review the ...
- com/155 - I think I found all the errors. What do you think?
- math - It is recommended that when calculating a quantity, all intermediate ...