Posted by Rachel on Sunday, January 23, 2011 at 10:55am.
Posted by Rachel on Thursday, January 20, 2011 at 3:57pm.
Does anyone know where I can get an image of the valence bond model for maleic acid?
ie. showing the pi and sigma bonds and indicating the hybridization (sp2, sp3.. )
OR could someone describe these things to me?
I'm just trying to check my work and make sure I didn't miss anything
Chemistry - DrBob222, Thursday, January 20, 2011 at 8:29pm
OH bonds are linear (sp)
O=CH2 are sp2
R2CH2 are sp3.
C=C are sp2
I'm clear on everything except the 3rd statement:
R2CH2 are sp3.
Could you clarify the R? And where does this bond occur on the molecule? I have it drawn out.. but this isn't popping out at me.
Chem- Dr. Bob! - DrBob222, Saturday, January 22, 2011 at 8:47pm
There are no R2CH2 bonds in maleic acid. R stands for something other than a functional group; i.e.,
CH3CH2OH is ethanol but if I want to designate an alcohol in general, I can write RCH2OH. So this could be many many other alcohols (propanol, butanol, pentanol, etc). The R is just a convenient way to write a general formula. I was trying to get at the CH bonds on maleic acid. Those CH bonds are linear. I have searched and can't find an image for you. That doesn't mean there isn't one; I just haven't found it.
Chem- Dr. Bob! - Rachel, Saturday, January 22, 2011 at 9:03pm
Oh! Okay, I'm familiar with R groups on amino acids etc..
The question just asks me to label the hybridization for each carbon and oxygen atom. So here's what I've got:
The carbon atoms bonded to eachother are sp2 hybridized atoms.
The carbon atoms bonded double bonded to the oxygens are sp2 hybridized atoms.
And the oxygen atoms bonded to the carbon and hydrogen are sp hybridized atoms.
The only atoms I'm not sure about are the oxygen atoms double bonded to the carbon atoms.
And I don't have any sp3 hybridized atoms ...?
Can you please critique my work
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chem- Dr. Bob! - Posted by Rachel on Thursday, January 20, 2011 at 3:57pm. Does...
- Chemistry - Does anyone know where I can get an image of the valence bond model ...
- chem - Maleic acid is an organic compound composed of 41.39% C, 3.47% H, and the...
- Finance - On January 1, 2011 you bought a two-year U.S. government bond with a ...
- Algebra-still need some help - Homework Help Forum: Algebra Posted by Jena on ...
- accounting - I need help, do not want the answer just stuck on how to solve this...
- accounting - I have figured this out I just want to make sure I am correct in my...
- Chemistry - Anthracene is a yellow, crystalline solid found in coal tar. ...
- Chemistry - Item 1 Maleic acid is a carbon-hydrogen-oxygen compound used in ...
- Chemistry - For each of the bonds listed below use hybridized orbitals to ...